News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My British Headdress Collection **RECOMMENDED**

Clive,

would that publisher be Service Publications, the well known and venerated publisher of books on arcane, but essential militaria topics?

I have considered such a book but there is so little to say. One can discourse on the fittings, different methods of affixing the helmet plates etc. but it soon runs out. And we are left with a book that essentially shows many, many examples of the same helmet but with different plates and top pieces.

Give me some direction, and an advance, and I will give it due consideration blush.gif

Cheers,

Stuart

• 1 month later...

My latest acquisition is another Wolseley. I know that I said I was finished with Wolseleys but this is to the Suffolk Regiment and features the puggaree flipped at three points (12, 4 and 8 o'clock) and has red and yellow piping. Frankly I much prefer the more normal front and rear flip.

The front view.

post-1883-044694000 1290034848_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuart Bates

• 1 month later...

Just bought this pillbox cap to the Worcestershire Yeomanry. It is dark blue with a 1 3/4" silver oak leaf lace band. The top is ornamented with a circular cluster of oak leaves and acorns in silver wire embroidery. It looks to be a very fine piece indeed.

Stuart

post-1883-099974100 1294533259_thumb.jpg

An excellent addition to your magnificent collection.

Now to review the whole post, as I do from time to time,especially over as coffee on a sunny Sunday such as today.

Thanks for not only posting your latest addition but taking the time to display your whole collection.

When Linda sees me looking at your collection she just says, "No! No! Bad Brian bad!

As if I'd be tempted to collect. :whistle:

Regards

Brian

Mervyn,

the cap is attributed to Major John Henry Crane of Oakhampton House, Dunley. He was commissioned in 1885, promoted Captain in 1894 and was still a Captain in 1900. He served in the Boer War as a Major, 31st Dec. 1901, in the Imperial Yeomanry (Queen's Own Worcester Hussars) 1901 - 1904.

The Worcester Yeomanry wore this style of cap from 1871 to about 1900. I have a photo which shows a group of officers wearing it and dated 1893 and another showing them all wearing the folding field service cap and dated 1897. So I would guess that this example dates from 1885 to mid 1890s.

As a side note "During the Boer War, while her husband was away on active service, Mrs Crane converted to Roman Catholicism, built a chapel in the grounds of the park and installed a live-in priest. On his return, Maj Crane had the chapel demolished, the priest thrown out and his marriage dissolved. He died at Oakhampton in 1932."

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Hi Stuart. A very nice piece ,and a great story. I've always thought pill boxes were strange items, particularly as I had to wear one in the Boys' Brigade, many years ago, and they were of no practical use at all! I've been looking at your post about cleaning as I've just acquired a nice officer's tunic (together with a blue cloth -see my latest post) and I was wondering how they cleaned the lace and bullion. I'm not planning to try!

Patrick

• 3 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...