News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Moritz was born in Wangeritz 22 December 1835. Got EK2 1870, Red Eagle 4 X, Red Eagle 3 with Bow and Xs on Ring, XXV, 1870/71, 1866, 1897 and Anhalt Albert the Bear-Knight 1X, He died in 1922.

Moritz was born in Wangeritz 22 December 1835. Got EK2 1870, Red Eagle 4 X, Red Eagle 3 with Bow and Xs on Ring, XXV, 1870/71, 1866, 1897 and Anhalt Albert the Bear-Knight 1X, He died in 1922.

Rick,

I'm "in kindergarden" when it comes to These Imperial awards. What are the XXV, 1870/71, 1866, 1897 medals?

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Guest Rick Research

Prussian 25 Years Service Cross (though war years counted double for regulars), campaign medal for 1870/71 and war cross 1866, and the 1897 Wilhelm I Centenary Medal (for still being alive and having served under Wilhelm I in those wars).

It's Rank List-itis. Takes too long to type out in full. :rolleyes:

The Captain Retired/Estate Owner he was writing to was some kinsman of Moritz's, but I can't tell who. Too early for my sources.

Nah, there are more famous members of the family. This one is Gen Moritz Eduard von LETTOW-VORBECK.
    He wasn't "von Lettow-Vorbeck" as the Prussian court did not approve that hyphenation until 1891.

I am not 100% sure where he fits into the family tree.
    Right about here:

Any idea of how he was related to THE von Lettow?

Africa lettow of course....

Rather closely.

Char. General der Infanterie Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck (1870-1964) was the son of General der Infanterie Paul Karl von Lettow-Vorbeck (1832-1919). Paul Karl was the older brother of Moritz.

The lineages are on two separate pages, so I can't combine them very well. I hope these will line up reasonably closely:

post-432-1173401706.jpg

He wasn't "von Lettow-Vorbeck" as the Prussian court did not approve that hyphenation until 1891.
    It appears from the family history they were using the hyphenated name for the family itself, if not for individual members without court approval as early as the 1870s. "Beitr?ge zur Geschichte des Geschlechts Lettow-Vorbeck" was published by Hermann von Lettow in 1877, updated in 1882 and 1905. That's where the Stammtafeln came from, BTW, which is why they end with that generation.

Prussian 25 Years Service Cross (though war years counted double for regulars), campaign medal for 1870/71 and war cross 1866, and the 1897 Wilhelm I Centenary Medal (for still being alive and having served under Wilhelm I in those wars).

It's Rank List-itis. Takes too long to type out in full. :rolleyes:

The Captain Retired/Estate Owner he was writing to was some kinsman of Moritz's, but I can't tell who. Too early for my sources.

Rick,

Thanks!!! This is new ground for me. Is there a referrence book(s) you could recommend?

:beer: Doc