News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some things I brought back from Iraq

Paul R

The British Army frowns, on the bringing back of war trophies, stating that they are property of the Iraqi people. I assume that the American Coast Guard, takes a different view of this thinking. I`d very much like to hear other peoples opinions of this this.

I was in both Gulf Wars. The first one I got a few things but not much to find. The second war I was there from 2003 to 2004. I would have to say that I did export almost every camoflauge uniform I found. The ARmy's policy was very vague about equipment other than weapons and bayonets on this it was very specific NONE. Bayonets later could be brought back but you had to have proof that you purchased it and it had to be turned into the HQ for shipment back. Other than that it was "TO THE VICTOR GOES THE SPOILS". I now think most of the stuff that was still laying around has been cleaned up and desposed of. Here is a couple photos of some of the large things I brought back.

Edited by Greene Dudley

• Replies 136
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

G'da Paul;

Nice bring-backs mate, glad to see your not greedy and at least left something for me to pick up (if I ever get over there that is). That medal in the center is certainly impressive looking.

BTW, is that a Crossing the Line certificate I can see on the left hand side middle of the photo?

Regards;

Johnsy

Edited by Tiger-pie

Hi Johnsy,

The upper certificate was given to us for participation in Operation Iraqi Freedom. The lower one was for being the first established Coast Guard unit over there, PATFORSWA (Patrol Forces Southwest Asia). The makers of these certificates also make the crossing the line certificates. They are a work of art on their own.

The medal in the center was the Iraqi Wound medal. The ribbon is a completely different design from the rest of the Iraqi medals I have seen. I wonder how their medal bars looked?

I hope that you dont have to go over there. I did meet a few Brit and Aussi Sailors over there.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Johnsy,

I hope that you dont have to go over there. I did meet a few Brit and Aussi Sailors over there.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul,

Considering that Australia has had at least one ship on station continuously in the Gulf since the first clash in 1991, I am surprised that I have missed being on deployment there. Can't say I would be champing at the bit to go for reasons various. I would rather be sitting off the coast of Pakistan doing, if nothing else, supporting our blokes and all others involved in whatever way the navy can.

Anyway, I will have a hunt around and see if I can find any images of the wound medal incorporated in a medal bar, after the clash between Iran and Iraq that went for 10 years or so, there must have been a few getting around.

Regards;

Johnsy

• 10 months later...

The Iraqi Flag is very Beautiful, I brought back hundreds of Iraqi Militaria items durng my 3 years in Iraq. Slowly but surly I will post them all on the GMIC. See some of my items here on the GMIC

<a href="http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=user&user=3626&op=view_album&album=27" target="_blank">http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?autocom=galler...um&album=27</a>

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for your kind words. The flag is a very special piece to me. I am curious as to why there are not many of these about? I have only seen about 3 other bona-fide flags brought back, that were not ones made specifically for "tourists".

I look forward to seeing your treasures here! Thank you again.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Reflective street sign from Tikrit, Iraq

This was brought back from Iraq last year and was up for auction. I was out bid by $58.00 it sold for $1,238.00.

This sign would hang for the traffic to see as they entered into Saddam Hussien's Home City of Tikrit, Iraq. This is a very famous pose of Saddam firing off his rifle looking like Adolf Hitler.

I am still interested in the Sign, so if anyone knows where it is and wants to sale it please let me know.

Thank you

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

• 1 month later...

Reflective street sign from Tikrit, Iraq

This was brought back from Iraq last year and was up for auction. I was out bid by $58.00 it sold for $1,238.00.

This sign would hang for the traffic to see as they entered into Saddam Hussien's Home City of Tikrit, Iraq. This is a very famous pose of Saddam firing off his rifle looking like Adolf Hitler.

I am still interested in the Sign, so if anyone knows where it is and wants to sale it please let me know.

Thank you

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Lorenzo -

I took this item back in 2003, obviously the same shot of Saddam holding the rifle. It was in an Iraqi military complex we were staying at. It is made of some type of plastic material and was mounted on a metal frame with flourescent lights behind it designed to light the entire picture up. Any idea what it says in the top right corner?

Travis

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for your kind words. The flag is a very special piece to me. I am curious as to why there are not many of these about? I have only seen about 3 other bona-fide flags brought back, that were not ones made specifically for "tourists".

I look forward to seeing your treasures here! Thank you again.

Paul

Paul -

I got this flag in 2003 and although small, it was in use when I arrived. It was at the mayors office in Fallujah. But I do admit I do have a "tourist" Iraqi flag also, complete with my name, dates of my first tour, and gold tassle!

• 3 weeks later...

Lorenzo -

I took this item back in 2003, obviously the same shot of Saddam holding the rifle. It was in an Iraqi military complex we were staying at. It is made of some type of plastic material and was mounted on a metal frame with flourescent lights behind it designed to light the entire picture up. Any idea what it says in the top right corner?

Travis

Great Poster:

If you find an extra one for sale please let me know.....

Thank you

SSG Luna, Lorenzo