News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAO single mounted, 3. Klasse (Gold) mit Krone und Schwertern

Guest Brian von Etzel

Thanks Andreas. Is the Krone a good piece? I think we have all established in our minds that this is not an 'awarded' piece.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Guest Brian von Etzel

Some very distinct differences to the crown. Andreas, without checking more closely, yours appears to be the same as my Wagner cross?

Guest Brian von Etzel

Here's the one from Andreas side to a Wagner. So much variety in these RAOs over time and by maker...

I think the first piece (Claudio's) would prove to be by Godet, whereas Andreas' & Brian's are Wagner.........

The piece that started this post seems to be made by Neuhaus in my opinion...but again, I wuold need to see it life.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I got more info about this RAO 3rd class... the weight without ribbon (it's impossible to measure it with precision, because the ring of the cross cannot be detached from the bar) is about 23-25 g and the whole bar weights about 35 g. It's quite light for such a medal... It's marked mark W for Wagner, contrary to Andreas' first impression that affirmed that it could have been a "Neuhaus".

I am afraid that it's quite sure not an original cross or original parts put together... what do you think (Andreas)?

In the enclosure I am sending another scan. Accornding to my brother comments the crown should be definitely silber gilted (the gold wash is really weak).

I hope that with this info you can elaborate a definitive comment (bad or good) on this cross.

I really appreciate your time and your expertise!.... I am still learning... it's a long way. I should follow a course about how to recognise precious metals and jewelry, so that in future they won't screw me so easily...

Ciao,

Claudio