News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 and WW2 Commonwealth Groupings

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

You have all seen these before, nothing overly special, (Newfoundland Volunteer Medal), belonged to Lt M S Strong RNVR.

Can't see enough of 'em Larry

:beer:

Guest Darrell

The star and Victory pair was bought as a trio, I've been hunting high and low for the missing BWM but haven't found it yet.

Tony

Tony ... what's the name on the group?

Guest Darrell

Darrell,

It's M2-033102 Pte. A Williams ASC.

A few of my things have been misplaced lately which is very strange. I do hope my children haven't been taking them to school.

Tony

Tony,

I have a named BWM and just wanted to make sure it wasnt part of that group.

Mine is stamped "5404 PTE.M.B.MOORE.E.YORK.R." oh well ... never hurts to check.

Here's another Pakistani WWII "group" (as Pakistan didn't name their WWII medals -- unlike India -- "groups" are heavily faked). Only the independence medal is named, but I have a good "feel" about this "group".

799 FLT. CDT. SHAKIR HUSSAIN AIR H. QRS.

1- War Medal 1965

2- Independence Medal

3- Republic Medal

4- WWII War Medal

5- Indian Service Medal

Only the Indepndence Medal named, as shown above. Original ragged mount.

One of my favourite WWI groups, shown elsewhere on forum (sorry), but I'll share it here as well.

Captain Sir Parushuramrao Ramachandrarao ?Bhav Sahib? Patwardhan, K.C.I.E., Chief of Jamkhandi

1- 1914-15 Star - CAPT. SIR P.B. PATWARDHAN K.C.I.E. CHIEF OF JAMKHANDI.

2- British War Medal - CAPT. SIR P. B. PATWARDHAN. CH. OF JAMKHANDI

3- Victory Medal - CAPT. SIR P. RAMCHANDRARAV, CHIEF OF JAMKHANDI.

4- Durbar 1911 - unnamed

Sir Meherban PARASHURAM RAO RAMCHANDRA RAO I [DHAJISAHEB] PATWARDHAN 1897/1924, adopted from the Chinchanikar branch of the Patwardhan family, Chief of Jamkhandi, born 1883, succeeded 1897, installed 4th June 1903, K.C.I.E. [cr.1913], took active part in France in 1915, during WW1, in 1918 he was granted a 9-gun salute and made Hon. Captain in the British Army, he as a supervisor of Red Cross in the Mesopotamia, married 1stly 1900 Rama Bai Raste, daughter of Bala Sahib Raste, from the village of Vai, died 1st October 1907, married 2ndly 12th June 1913 Damle, daughter of Damle of Pune and had issue, 1 son and 1 daughter. He died 25th February 1924 (by being crushed under the feet of an angry elephant).

Obviously on original mounting. ;)

95579 Rifleman Ujir Mall, 2/9th Gurkha Rifles

1- The Indian Independence Medal, 1947 - 96579 RFN. UJIR MALL, 9 G.R.

2- 1939-45 Star - 95579 RFN. UJIR MALL, 9 G.R.

3- Pacific Star - 95779 RFN. UJIRMALL, 9 G. R.

4- The War Medal, 1939-45 - 95579 RFN. UJIRMALL, 9 G.R.

Shown as missing in the POW rolls (but with regt. # 95379). Obviously a POW.

Regiment reported to have gone only about 10% INA.

A Gorkha who fought in the Malaya and Singapore Campaign of 1941-42 and ended up a POW after fall of Singapore in February 1942.

C-9436 Subadar-Major Meneha Singh, Army Service Corps (Motorised Transport)

There is MUCH variability in the spelling of his name!

WWII service, then out?

enrolled 9 January 1959 (re-enrolled?)

Naib Subadar 9 January 1959 (same day as enrollment)

Subadar 1 March 1964

Acting Subadar-Major 1 January 1968

1- Samar Seva Star, 1965 - JC-6436 SUB MECHANGA SINGH ASC(MT)

2- Raksha Medal, 1965 - JC9436_MEHNA SINGH ASC(MT)

3- Sangram Medal, 1971 - unnamed

4- 25th Independence Anniversary Medal, 1972 - ZJC9436 SUB. MAJ. MEHENGA SINGH ASC(MT)

5- The Indian Independence Medal, 1947 - MTN-940217 HAV MAMNGA SINGH, ASC(MT)

6- Twenty Years Long Service Medal - JC-9436 SUB-MAJ MENEHA SINGH, ASC(MT)

7- Nine Years Long Service Medal - ribbon only

8- 1939-45 Star - MTN/940217 C.Q.M. HAV. MEHNGA SINGH, RIASC (MT)

9- Burma Star - MTN-940217 C.Q.M. HAV. MEHNGA SINGH, RIASC (MT)

10- The War Medal, 1939-45 - MTN 940217 C.Q.M. HAV.MEHNGA SINGH RIASC(MT)

11- The India Service Medal, 1939-45 - unnamed

BARELY WWII, but still an interesting group.

3162 Group Captain H. S. Monga, Indian Air Force

Mounting a bit ragged, but a long and impressive (and heavy) group.

IAF List, July 1956:

Name- Monga, Harbans Singh

Rank - Flight Lt

Number - 3162 (General Duties Branch)

Date of Birth - 15-June-1923

Date of Commission - 25-June-1945

Date of Subst Rank of Flt Lt - 25-June-1950

Remarks - Permanent Commission

1- The General Service Medal, 1947 - JAMMU AND KASHMIR 1947-48 - 3162 FG. OFF. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

2- Samar Seva Star, 1965 - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

3- Poorvi Star, 1971 - missing, ribbon only

4- Paschimi Star, 1971 - missing, ribbon only

5- Raksha Medal, 1965 - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

6- Sangram Medal, 1971 - missing, ribbon only

7- Sainya Seva Medal - Himalaya - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

8- Videsh Seva Medal - Nepal - 3162 WG. CDR. H. S. MANGA, I. A. F.

9- The Indian Independence Medal, 1947 - 3162 FG. OFFR. H. S. MONGA, R.I.A.F.

10- 25th Independence Anniversary - missing, ribbon only

11- Twenty Years Long Service Medal - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

12- Nine Years Long Service Medal - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

13- The War Medal, 1939-45 - IND/3162 FLT/LT. H. S. MONGA, R. I. A. F.

And it's thanks to the likes of this young man and what he gave, we have what we have today.

Sergeant Peter Francis Snape:

78 Sqdn, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who was killed on the, 30th July 1943 over Hamburg on a second wave of the raids that night. He flew in Halifaxes and was only 22 years old.

Edited by Marcus H

It is a real shame the Brits chose (for reasons of speed of issue not economy) not to name their WWII medals. Not only does this limit the collecting and research interest, but opens the way for enterprising bandits to "marry" boxes, certificates, and medals, or even just to fake paperwork outright to go with invented groups. How much proof is enough? Short of provenance -- direct from the veteran or his family -- what can we trust? How can we move beyond "attributed" (aand what is that word worth)?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

It is a real shame the Brits chose (for reasons of speed of issue not economy) not to name their WWII medals. Not only does this limit the collecting and research interest, but opens the way for enterprising bandits to "marry" boxes, certificates, and medals, or even just to fake paperwork outright to go with invented groups. How much proof is enough? Short of provenance -- direct from the veteran or his family -- what can we trust? How can we move beyond "attributed" (aand what is that word worth)?

Ed,

That is exactly why I have never gotten too excited about obtaining groupings with documents / paperwork on medals that are un-named or serial numbered. How can anyone be certain that such and such medal belongs to any grouping without some tie in like this?

For example, it's so obvious at times when you see cases married to medals that never belonged to each other originally .... it's pretty easy to buy a document .. throw it together with a medal and there you have a group.

Edited by Darrell

Hello Gents,

Here is my meagre contribution.

My Grandfather. John Edward Denton Pte 26th Battalion NZEF No 12486

was in libya, north africa, egypt, greece, Palestine, Turkey,italy.discharged 18 march 1944.

He had a pretty hot time in Greece, and went through action better than he thought he would...

Been dead since 1986 was a pretty hot rugby player in his time with playing for Canterbury and nearly was an All Black! but the selectors told Nana, he was too much a party boy and liked his beer too much!

Regards

paul