News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian goodies

Vatjan

Ed, that one's a beauty...... Bob, pretty much every higher Mongolian Badge/Order has those symbols in there somewhere. I believe they are all part of a national shield/crest. I'm sure I/we will be quickly corrected.................. please pardon our inexperience!

The crest is indeed the national symbol, as it was used in the early forties.

The four animals depicted are of course the four domesticated species the Mongolians keep in their herds:

Cows, sheep, goats and camels.

I think the symbolism of the horseman speaks fo itself, all I can add is that the stick with the bit of rope the rider is carrying is the Mongolian equivalent of the lasso.

It is used to capture wild horses, and still very much in use nowadays.

I've got a pic somewhere, but I'm afraid it is a slide, so it might take some time to digitalize. :blush:

Jan

PS: Santa must really like you, Ed :cheeky:

Edited by vatjan

• 3 weeks later...

My Mongolian Best Herder Badge arrived from Germany of all places today. A most impressive piece of enamel work, only appreciated in hand. There's an earlier style than this that is extremely crude....

This one is numbered 3660

Edited by stogieman

My Mongolian Best Herder Badge arrived from Germany of all places today. A most impressive piece of enamel work, only appreciated in hand. There's an earlier style than this that is extremely crude....

This one is numbered 3660

Very nice :love: Rick, you are hooked :cheers::jumping::cheeky:

Gerd

Hooked, indeed :P

Then this might not be a good time to tell you there are several variations of this badge. :cheeky:

Apparantly they were first made of silver, then silvered bronze, then silver again.

Serial numbers starting at +-4100 have a flatback instead of a mirror reverse, expect to pay more, because I think only a few hundred of these exist.

Also, normally the blue enamel is light blue opaque, but some badges, around the 3500 mark, have this nice translucent darker blue enamel. Yours is a good exemple of these.

Congratulations on your nice badge :jumping: happy hunting for the variations :rolleyes:

Jan

Edited by vatjan

Guest Rick Research

Bigger isn't any better, I'm afraid. That "skip" is still a skip no matter how big it gets because there is no "there" there. It's not wear, it's absence of engraving. I don't know why they didn't stamp these nicely instead of nail-file scratching them! :(

It's hard to tell in "natural color" because of shading interference and the wear scratches

[attachmentid=22465]

But when I use my Awesome Ricky Powers, the actual marks are clearer (if disconcertingly raised looking, complete with scratches turned into junior high school microscope slide bacteria, eekies!)

[attachmentid=22466]

A double 55, I'd say--just the top of the first one is squooshed closer so not as long.

Which places it ??????????? The timeline on these and others never seems to really match up with the serial numbers to specific eras!

I would say, this is a early 1950's award, I can't be more precise at the moment.

If I find more info I'll let you know

Jan