News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Napoleonic Documents

Bear

Nice one Humberto.

The Prince is long suspected of having been behind the purported poisoning of Napoleon. He certainly tried to assassinate him and had an extensive intelligence network throughout France. He is one of the reasons Waterloo happened.

• Replies 358
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Humberto,

That is one fantastic seal. Keep them coming.

thanks,

barry

Thanks Barry for your kind words! I am trying to increase my collection of napoleonic documents

Ulsterman, I didt know that! could be possible that you give us more information about the attempt of murder of Napoleon sponsored by the prince? and about his intelligence network ?

thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

This arrived the other day from a fellow member. It describes some of the events leading up to the Battle of Nations less than one month later.

Hauptquartier T?plitz den 19 September 1813

Der Kaiser Napoleon hatte am 16ten September einen gro?en Theil der Reste,

welche ihm von den Armeen gegen den General Bl?cher und Kronprinzen

von Schweden ?brig blieben mit dem 1ten 2ten und 14ten Armeekorps

vereinigt, und war an der Spitze seiner Garden bis gegen Nollendorf (i.e. Kleist)

vorger?ckt.

Die Ausfage der Gefangenen, besonders die Vorbereitungen des Feindes

lie?en Zweifel Raum, da? er eine ernsthafte Operation gegen B?hmen

unter den pers?nlichen Leitung des Kaisers beabsichtige. er lei? zu diesem Zwecke

seine Kolonnen von Nollendorf herabdefiliren. Seine Durchlaucht der komandirende

F?rst von Schwarzenberg hatten befohlen, da? sich Vorposten

bis in die Stellung von Kulm zur?ckziehen sollten, um den Feind daselbst zu

erwarten. Arbesau, Delisch, Kninitz und Jonsdorf wurden ihm ?berlassen.

Es begann eine sehr lebhafre Kanonade. Die Korps der F.Z.M. Grafen Koloredo

und Merveldt vefilirten ?ber Deutsch-Neudorf und ?ber Kninitz in des

Feindes Linke Flanke, wahrend der General Graf Wittgenstein,

die Preu?en unter dem GeneralZiethen mit Infantrie Massen gegen die Fronte

des Feindes vorr?cken lie?. Der Feind entwickelte immer mehr Streitmassen; es

mu?te ihm alles daran liegen, Terrain zum Debouchiren zu gewinnen. Die Kavallerie

der Garde attakirte mit vieler Entschlossenheit unsere Batterien, w?hjrend die

franz?sischen Infantrie-Massen auf allen Seiten ein morderisches Feur machten.

In diesem wichtigen Auge blicke sprengte eine Eskadron von Hessen-Homburg

Husaren, von der tapfern Preu?ischen Kavallerie unterstutzt, mit der

ihnen eigenenEntschlossenheit die feindlichen Reihen hinein. Die ?sterreichischen

Infantrie-Massen folgten ihnen mit der tapferstenKaltblutigkeit. Der Feind

wurde ?berallzuruckgeworfen, und in der gro?ten Unordnung auf die H?hen von

Nollendorf zuruckgetrieben.

Der franz?sische General Kreuzer, 7 Kanonen und eine Fahne fielen

in unsere H?nde. Die Anzahl der Gefangenen belauft sich ?ber 2000. Ein dichter

Nebel, und die Dunkelheit der Nacht retrete die feindlichen Kolonnen vom unvermeidlichen Verderben. Der Kaiser Napoleon soll selbst in ihrer Mitte gewesen,

und nach Aussage der Gefangenen ihm ein Pferd blessirt worden se(i?)n.

Nach den franz?sischen Bulletins ist die franz?sische Armee auf allen Punkten

siegreich und im Vorr?cken. In der Wirklichkeit hat sie das rechte Elbe-Ufer

gro?tentheils verlassen, und bisher drei Versuche gemacht, nach B?hmen einzubrechen,

welche alle zum Verderben der eingedrungenen Korps gereichten.

Alle Nachrichten ?ber den Stand der franz?sischen Armee in dem Erzgebirge

stimmen dahin ?berein, da? sie dem schrecklichsten Mange Preis gegeben ist t?glich

aus Mangel an Fourage hunderte von Pferden verliert, und sich von Pferde-Fleisch n?hrt.

Seine kaiserl. Hoheit Gro?f?rst Konstantin besanden sich w?hrend

des Gefechts im gr??ten Kugelregen unter der der Avantgarde. General Graf

Wittgenstein, der Herzog von W?rtemberg, die Feldzeugmeister Graffen

Kolloredo und Merveldt, der General Ziethen, F.M.L. Alops

F?rst v. Liechtenstein, die Oberstlieutnants Simonn, Loschie und Czorich,

welcher letztere vom Anfang des Gefechts mit vieler Th?tigkeit wirken konnte;

der Major Louis Geppert und der Rittmeister D?rn hatten besondere

Gelegenheit sich auszuzeichen.

Die verb?ndeten Truppen fochten an diesem T?ge abermals, von demselben

Geiste beseelt, br?derlich vereint.

Seine russ. kais. Majest?t haben noch in der Nacht nach dem Gefechte dem

F.Z.M. Grafen Kolloredo das militarische St. Georgs-Kreuz der dritten

Klasse, und dem F.M.L. F?rsten Aloys v. Liechtenstein einem goldenen

Parallelen vor dieser Festung bereits er?ffnet.

Hope I got all the s'es & f's right.

In a nutshell, on September 16 Bl?cher, the Crown Prince of Sweden with the 1st, 2nd, and 14th Armeecorps and Nollendorf's Garde engaged with Napoloen's troops.

F?rst von Schwarzenberg ordered a withdrawal of his troops from Kulm in expectation of an engagement with the Emperor's forces. Arbesau, Delisch, Kninitz and Jonsdorf were also abandoned. Under a fierce cannon barrage Grafen Kolloredo and Merveldt attacked the left flank through Deutsch-Neudorf and Kninitz, protecting Wittgenstein and Zeithen's frontal Infantrie assault.

The French cavalry attacked the Prussian artillery batteries and their infantry kept up a merderous fire from all sides.

A squadron of Hessen-Homburg cavalry and massed Austrian infantry threw the French into disorder and the tide was turned.

The French General Kreuzer, seven cannon, a standard, and over 2,000 prisoners were taken. A dense fog and the darkness of night brought the action to a halt.

According to prisoners, the Emperor himself barely escaped.

The French claim a victory, but in reality the failed in their third attempt to cross the Elbe into Bohemia and were forced to butcher their horses for food.

Gro?f?rst Konstantin cited General Graf Wittgenstein, Herzog von W?rtemberg,Feldzeugmeister Graffen Kolloredo and Merveldt, General Ziethen, F.M.L. Aloys

F?rst v. Liechtenstein, Oberstlieutnants Simonn, Loschie and Czorich, Major Louis Geppert and Rittmeister D?rn for their part. That night the Czar conferred the Military Order of St. Michael 3rd Class on Graf Kolloredo, and the Golden Parralells (?) on F.M.L. F?rst Aloys v. Liechtenstein.

All in all an exciting day.

Along with the Armee-Nachrichten came the minutes of a session of the Holstein Miltary Commission in the newly captured city of not so lucky Gl?ckstadt, 30 April 1814 concerning recruitment and length of service.

I'm too lazy to translate the whole thing :rolleyes: , but if anyone wants a trascription it's available. With the s?s and f's in the right places ;)

Great Stuff Tom :jumping:

Is it printed on two pages or front/back on one page?

thanks,

barry

Thanks, Barry.

Front & back. Hope my synopsis was accurate.

Dop you know what the Golden Parallels the Czar awarded were? That's a new one on me.

• 1 month later...

Etienne-Jacques-Joseph-Alexandre Macdonald

Born Nov. 17, 1765 - Died Sept. 25, 1840

July 6, 1809 - Appointed Marechal d'Empire(20th Order)

August 15, 1809 - Created duc de Tarante

This document id dated July 7, 1809 to the commander of the Westphailian Division while in Spain. Verdier is giving orders for the attack of a fortification: an assault by ladders, the troops to be employed, the assistance to be provided by other divisions, including grenadiers, sharpshooters and sappers.

Thanks Barry for your kind words! I am trying to increase my collection of napoleonic documents

Ulsterman, I didt know that! could be possible that you give us more information about the attempt of murder of Napoleon sponsored by the prince? and about his intelligence network ?

thanks in advance!

well-a few months late, but yeah...there's quite a bit of recent scholarship that demonstrates how extensive the Bourbon intelligence network was. There's no doubt they tried quietly to kill him and while recently rehashing of "was he poisoned" reworking indicates he probably died of stomach cancer, one of the reasons he abandoned Elba was the Bourbons refused to pay his pension (guaranteed by the treaty of 1814), with which he was paying his small court on the island.

• 2 weeks later...

General Alexis de Schauenburg (1748-1832)

The document is to General Dessolle who was in command of the army in Germany and its discussing troop movements.

Strasbourg

8/27/1800

General Jean Baptiste-Isidore Larmarque

This letter is dated 1807 while he was a major in the 15th Regiment.

I need some help with him. He was at the Battle of Essling and received the Legion of Honor. I wanted to know what he did during the battle. :D

• 3 weeks later...

General Claude Dallemagne (1754-1813)

Dallemagne during the Battle of Lodi(May 10, 1796) was General de Brigade of the Advance Guard. Lannes was a Colonel in the Advanced Guard during the battle.