News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

• 3 weeks later...

+

Rarity

attachicon.gif22.jpg

with very interesting central medallion

attachicon.gif23.jpg

I think someone replaced the Bertrand lion medallion with a Persian made medallion somewhere in this medals history. The Bertrand enamel paintings were much more refined that the Persian enamel shown. The Auction house stated that this was a Bertrand made medal, so it must have Bertrand hallmark. The original lion medallion was probably repurposed in another piece of jewelry.

You would have thought that they would have had the nous to get the stones tested, if it sells for the estimate then someone has got bargain of the century. I would have a go at it but unfortunately there is a nice Army of India medal that I need to buy next week which will probably cost me nearly as much.

Paul

More like "let's make a brooch out of persian made lion&sun order" :whistle:

Sad to say I think this has happened many times. :speechless1::banger::speechless1:

Lately I have come across beautiful Halley L&S medals with their medallions replaced with an inferior Persian medallion. Queen Victoria repurposed all the Jewels from her Persian Effigy medal presented to her by The Shah and made a new necklace.

Here is an example of Broach transformation of a Lion and Sun medallion.

A 3rd Class Lion and Sun order medal by French maker Pouteau. Formally the company was know as Foyolle, Pouteau. Their address was at 180 Galerie de Valois, Palais Royale where many other famous French medal makers were housed over time. The firm was in business until 1911 at this address, until Chobillon took over that address. I have seen the Fayolle-Pouteau name plate on the Dragon of Annam, Portuguese order medals, Spanish order medals, Tunisian Nichan Iftikhar, Order of Danillo as well as many French medals. One more maker that I can add to the list of makers of Persian Lion and Sun Order.

Here is an interesting comparison of medallions. I believe that some order makers freely shared parts.

First medallion is a Pouteau, 2nd is Chobillon, 3rd is Kretly.

Edited by Markus

I have been assembling a list of makers of the Lion and Sun Order and find it to be one of the largest list of makers for a single order. All the different makers give this Lion and Sun order a great variation of artistry and make it a joy to collect. If any one has seen other makers of this order not on my list please post info so the list is more complete.

Known makers of Persia Lion & Sun medal

European Makers

Bacqueville (Paris)

CH Billard, A.D. Marie Succ. (Paris)

Bertrand (Paris)

Boullanger (Paris)

CF Carlman (Sweden)

Chobillon (Paris)

Dazeville (Paris)

Edouard (St. Petersburg)

Foyolle-Pouteau (Paris)

Godet & Sohn (Berlin)

Halley (Paris)

Johann Schwerdtner (Austrian)

Kretly (Paris)

Lasne Halley (French)

Lemaitre (French)

Nikols Plinke (St. Petersburg)

Dmitri Ivanovich Ossipov (St. Petersburg)

Ozeretskij (Moscow)

Quizille & Lemoine (Paris)

CF Rothe (Austrian)

Vinc Meyers Sohne (Austrian)

J.H.Werner ( German)

Wolfers (Belgian)

Persian makers

Ibrahim

Faiz Allah

Saniolmamalek

I am sure that there are more makers than this especially in the Russian and Persian makers, but these are all the makers that I have verified with a maker mark on a Lion and Sun medal.

Edited by Markus

Congratulations on your Pouteau Lion, Markus! It certainly is a rare specimen. And the craftsmanship is superb.

Interesting the similarity of the lion painting with the Kretly examples. I wonder if the depiction of a lion with a tall elongated head was a popular style of the time not limited to medals. I could easily see it as an Art Nouveau statuette or even an Arthur Rackham illustration.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful, Markus. Congratulations on your latest purchase.

The enamel painting of the lion is exquisite. I like how the grass in the foreground is a darker shade. It's one of the most naturalistic lions for this Order.