News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Very nice Nick! I especially like the elegant, pointed star corpus of #783.

The painting of the lion looks like it is an early Persian specimen. Would you agree?

Another early Persian made Lion and Sun of Military class. Red enamel remnants on the rays. The rays of a First class generally have eight rays, but some of the earlier L&S have more rays such as this one with ten rays. Does anybody have any clues as to why or when larger number of rays were made on the L&S medal? Also see page 4 post #69 on this thread, which has 16 rays.

Edited by Markus

Another early Persian made Lion and Sun of Military class. Red enamel remnants on the rays. The rays of a First class generally have eight rays, but some of the earlier L&S have more rays such as this one with ten rays. Does anybody have any clues as to why or when larger number of rays were made on the L&S medal? Also see page 4 post #69 on this thread, which has 16 rays.

Judging by the photo background :whistle: it is yours!

Congrats! :beer:

Judging by the photo background :whistle: it is yours!

Congrats! :beer:

Very nice Markus, I especially like the gold rays. That's very uncommon.

It's an early Persian lion so around the 1880s?

Hi Nick! Yes, you are very observant! Lol! Thanks for your additions!

Hi Gavin, yes I think it is probably a 1870's time frame. The gold foil rays are the underlayment that used to be covered with red enamel. Most of the enamel has chipped off over time.

Edited by Markus

• 1 month later...

This is a Civil 4th Class Lion and Sun with officer ribbon. The pre-1872 crowns on civil issue are pretty rare. No maker marks, but looks very similar to other Kretly made Lion and Suns. Very unique medallion painting.