News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Nick-m'pal, in their catalogue they say the stones are "cristal taille" - i.e. not diamonds (otherwise they'd call it "diamonds":).

Hmmm...

Usually we call them paste stones or strass stones :lol:

Thanks Mitya & Nick for great posts! The Legion of Honour Nishan-i-Moqaddas piece looks like the ones on display in Istanbul at the Topkapi Palace museum. Not sure if these are diamonds or glass stones either, but they are quite rare since they were given out only to heads of state and command crazy prices on auctions when they do pop up once every blue moon. With such fine workmanship and the type of medallion paintings, I think they are all French made.

Also see post #100 and #110 in this thread, Nishan-i-Moqaddas.

Wow, talk about bling! How much do these go for at auctions Markus?

I still can't shake that suspicion that some folks buy diamond encrusted orders to break out the diamonds ...

Wow, talk about bling! How much do these go for at auctions Markus?

I still can't shake that suspicion that some folks buy diamond encrusted orders to break out the diamonds ...

Hi Gavin!

Here is a similar order without stones that you may remember from the Tamman Auction 80, lot 733. It went for 10,000 Swiss Franc and adding auction commissions probably went out the door for close to 14,000 US dollars. I asked a dealer that had a few of the Nishan-iMoqaddas pieces listed for sale and he told me he recently sold a "crudely made Persian made one with glass stones" to a collector for $200,000 US, so the nicely made European made samples would sell for more! :speechless1:

Markus

Edited by Markus

Ok.

Check it out guys.

Familiar central medallion painting :)

Hi Nick!

The only maker that had used this type of ray painting was Wolfers, one of my favorite makers! Their lion paintings are superb!

Edited by Markus

• 1 month later...