News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scottish Arms & Militaria –Rex & Cathey Collection

Hi Guys, we have been promising Stuart Bates that wewould put a show case up and thought we would start with this.

Highland officer's dirk ofthe Black Watch
    Date Circa 1886
    Nationality British
    Overall Length 42.3 cm (16.7inches ) in scabbard 41.2 cm (16.2inches ) Dirk only
    Blade length 28.2 cm (11.1inches)
    Blade widest point 3.245 cm (1.3 inches)
    Marks, etc. J GRennie" scratched on the back of the scabbard

Description

Highland officer'sdirk of The Black Watch, scallop backed blade 11", brass studded strapwork hilt, the pommel set with glass citrine (chipped), in its leather scabbardwith brass mounts en suite with hilt, the locket bearing St Andrew in wreathand owner's name "J G Rennie" scratched on to the back, the other mountsbearing thistle spray, companion knife and fork with glass citrine pommels.

General Remarks
    The dirk was one of 6 lots put upfor auction with Wallis and Wallis by the Rennie family.

JohnGeorge Rennie, DSO was born 25th February 1865, entered the Black Watch 1886 asLieut, promoted to Captain March 1893, Adj Royal Highlanders May 1893-97. ADC to Brigadier General commanding 1st Bde,British Div, Sudan Exped. Force July to Sept 1898, present at the Battle ofKhartoum (MID 30.9.1898) awarded Medjidie 4th class 1898. During the S African war, ADC to Maj Genl,Infantry Bde Oct to Dec 1899. Took partin the advance on Kimberley, present at Magersfontein, operations in the OrangeFree State (MID 16th April 1901) Cape Contingent, created Companion of the DSO(London Gazette 19th April 1901) "In recognition of services during theoperations in South Africa", DSO presented by General Littelton Natal 4thNovember 1901. Rennie retired from thearmy in 1905, during 1907-8 he became the Vice President of the Black Watch OldComrades Assn London branch. He was on Reserve of Officers and at the outbreakof WWI was recalled, promoted Major and served in Admin.

Picture appears out of focus when I previewed post, not sure what the problem is as it was very clear before resizing.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Edited by Cathey

Hi Cathey & Rex,

beautiful photo and fabulous dirk. The additional information is also very welcome as so often we are simply given a photo without any provenance, which admittedly is not always possible.

BTW: welcome to the GMIC forum.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Item Scott’sGuard Officer’s Forage Cap

Date 1840 – 1844

Nationality British

Marks, etc. Makers mark inside: Crown & Victorian Cipher and Cater & Co56 Pall Mall London.

Description

Victorian Scots Guards Officer’s forage cap.

A late 19th Century example. Dark blue melton body and crown with goldgimp cord piping. Patent leather peak with gold bullion edging. Diced band of red-white-red and red-blue-red. The interior with missing lining and sweatband loose. The cap retains a good shape, and is in otherwise excellentcondition. The cap retains the Officers Diamond Cut Silver and Gilt cap badge,a very nice 2 piece example in unmarked silver. Gilt centre with undamagedgreen enamel.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Edited by Cathey

Hello Cathey and Rex. I will echo Stuart's welcome to GMIC - although I see you joined in 2009 - I hope that we will now see your splendid collection at more frequent intervals ?

I particularly liked your Dirk with it's full trousseaux . The research detail was also excellent - so often this is not fully known. I thought your way of showing a montage of photos was also good - saves space and allows immediate comparison.

Stuart had mentioned your collection and that you lived in Adelaide - proof the the place is not the 'wowser' City that we always knew it to be in the 1950's.......

Hello Cathey and Rex and welcome.

I have been looking forward to your posts especially since Stuart has been "teasing" me for a while now about your collection and the possibility you would post some photos. I would also like to thank you for the additional history that you have included, this makes a posting absolutely priceless.

Regards

Brian

Scottish Field Officer's SwordDate 2nd February 1856 Pattern 1857

Over Length 101.5 cm (39.9 Inches) in scabbard 96 (37.8 inches) sword only

Blade length 82.3 cm (32.4 inches)

Blade widest point 2.938 cm (1.2 inches)

Description

An undress sword formerly owned by Lt. Colonel McCall of the 79th Cameron Highlanders. Made by Henry Wilkinson Pall Mall London, proportionately smaller guard of the 1821 Heavy Cavalry undress pattern, fish skin covered wire bound grip, the back piece with chequered thumb stop and domed chequered pommel. Slightly curved 32 " inch x 1" inch cut and thrust single edged blade, proof No. 7565 finished 2nd February 1856. The blade is etched with a scroll with W. McCALL and with his crest and motto and crowned VR ciphers within foliate scrolls, with a steel scabbard.

General Remarks

McCALL. William served in the Cameron Highlanders. He was ensign, 29th of March, 1839; lieutenant, 8th of June 1841; captain 14th of November 1841; major 12th of December 1845 ; brevet-lieutenant-colonel 2nd of November 1855 ; half pay on the 5th of August 1857. He served with the regiment in the Eastern campaign of 1854-55, including the battles of Alma and Balaclava, expedition to Kertch and Yenikale, siege and fall of Sebastopol, and assaults of the 18th of June and the 8th of September. (Medal with three clasps, brevet of lieutenant-colonel, Knight of the Legion of Honour, 5th class of the Medjidie, and Turkish Medal.) His medals are in the Officers Mess at the Regimental Depot.

Captain McCall as described in the Memoirs of Colonel E W Cuming in the 79th News in July 1935 “Captain McCall was a kindly creature. His name was William, but he was always called Charles; why, I don’t know. He was a very practical turn of mind. He was a great dandy, always dressed in the extreme of fashion. His Company was always known as the Lancers, for some reason connected with its Captain. He never was exactly sure of anything. His talents lay in riding; he was a neat horseman and was the regimental race rider”.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Edited by Cathey

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the kind words of encouragement; when Cathey has time she will post more items unfortunately I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to posting pictures Cathey is in the process of teaching me at the moment so who knows you may see posts from me as well.

Cheers Rex

Edited by Cathey

Scottish Colonels/Generals Basket Hilted Broad Sword
    Date: 1790-1810
    Nationality: British
    Overall Length: 97.2cm (38.3 inches) Sword Only
    Blade length: 80.8cm (31.8 inches)
    Blade widest point: 3.401cm (1.3 inches0

Marks, etc.: marked FIRMIN & SON SWORD CUTLERS TO HIS MAJESTY 153 STRAND LONDON

Description
    Basket Hilt-Scottish-c1790 Highland Officer broad sword
    Scottish Colonels/Generals Officers Basket Hilted BroadSword with Gold guilt hilt, 85% gold gilding remaining. Comprising connecting junction panels pierced with hearts and circles and cut with scalloped edges, fluted domed pommel, withits original crimson and buff leather liner, shark skin wire wrapped grip 32" double fullered blade marked FIRMIN & SON SWORD CUTLERS TO HIS MAJESTY 153 STRAND LONDON; circa. 1790-1810, complete with correct brass mounted leather scabbard missing chape

Firmin & Sons operated at 153 Strand London from 1783 upto 1796

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Edited by Cathey

Another wonderful example from your collection, many thanks. I have often wondered the significance of the heart shape used on Scottish sword hilts. Is there a connection with this shape and Scottish history or is it a Scottish Regimental tradition?

Regards Simon

Hi Simon,

While I am happy to stand corrected I don't believe the heart design has a particular significance. Personally I think it simply evolved from the earlier triangle with dart design, that had two small circles at it base. Merge the circles into the triangle and you have a heart. The heart became very clearly represented in the regimental pattern on 1828, however I have also seen variations to this design in officers swords made by private treaty. Attached are four swords from my collection that illustrate my thoughts on this subject.

Cheers Cathey

Edited by Cathey

Hi Cathey & Rex,

you must excuse my ignorance of swords but would you define exactly what a broadsword is? I did a quick google and take from that that it is not particular to the Scottish.

BTW: I like the montage effect that you use for your photos and have been experimenting to improve my own presentation.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Hi Stuart

No great mystery here, a broad sword is simply two edged and a back sword has a single cutting edge. There is a degree of romance attached to the term broad sword, people connecting this with an extremely large claymore etc.

CheersCathey

Edited by Cathey

Basket Hilt Dragoon Sword
    Date: Circa 1745-1780 (18th Century)
    Nationality: British Dragoon Basket (Scottish Regiment) -Scottish Patriotic Blade
    Overall Length: 107.2cm (42.2 inches)
    Blade length: 91.4 cm (36 inches)
    Blade widest point: 3.687 cm (1.5 inches)
    Marks, etc: engraved "this was the sword of the immortal saviour" below this is the Scottish Lion flanked on either side with foliage decoration then below that the words " Wallace Regent of Scotland A.D. 1298."

Description: British Dragoon Basket Hilt with a Scottish back sword blade with two fullers, double edged for last 11 " (28.1 cm). Along the top of the area of decoration on the blade are the words "this was the sword of the immortal saviour" below this is the Scottish Lion flanked on either side with foliage decoration then below that the words " Wallace Regent of Scotland A.D. 1298." The other side of the blade appears to have had its decoration removed when the sword was restored having had its blade bent over at the hilt.

General Remarks
    I believe that this sword originally came to Australia from Arbour Antiques London where it was purchased by a friend of mine several years ago. When Arbour received the sword, the blade had been completely bent over as if someone had sought to destroy it or at least render it useless. My understanding is that Arbour had the blade reheated and straightened and the sword restored to its current good condition. Reheating the blade has removed colour from one section.

The sword has a typically English Pommel but there is an area of engraved decoration that does not seem to fit with the sword serving in an English Regiment. Along the top of the area of decoration are the words "this was the sword of the immortal saviour" below this is the Scottish Lion flanked on either side with foliage decoration then below that the words "Wallace Regent of Scotland A.D. 1298." Clearly the sword is not that old so the owner has added this decoration as a patriotic Scott, given the English executed Wallace I have difficulty believing the sword belonged to an Englishman. Further, it is hard to accept that an English soldier would dare carry a blade in the memory of William Wallace, or that a Scot serving in an English regiment would take such a risk.

Advice in regards to the age of the sword range from 1745 through to 1780. One collector has suggested that apart from being very odd, the pommel and the basket are English dragoon 1760 thru to 1780. The blade he feels is older, possibly a pickup form the battle of Culloden, 1746. There were many English troops who picked up the swords after the battle and kept them as they were better then what they had. However, if you where English would you carry such a blade? Another collector believes it to be circa 1745 with an Etched Patriotic Blade belonging to an Officer in Scottish Dragoon Guards regiment, which where part of the British Cavalry.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Edited by Cathey

Another very nice sword Cathey. A sensible conclusion as well, i can't see anyone other than a scot having an inscription to William Wallace on the blade of a sword. Possibly picked up as a souvenir and re-mounted at a later date by one of the Officers of the Scottish Regiments fighting on the Government side at Culloden. Although that would mean the sword must have been bent in half much later as it would have been useless as a weapon.

Hope to see more!

Edited by jocktamson

Hi Stuart

No great mystery here, a broad sword is simply two edged and a back sword has a single cutting edge. There is a degree of romance attached to the term broad sword, people connecting this with an extremely large claymore etc.

CheersCathey

I did some research a couple years ago on the heart-shapes, in an attempt to answer that very question and, as far as I was able to ascertain, there is no particular reason other than 'tradition': somebody did it that way and enough others copied the idea that it eventually became 'how we do it'.

My tuppence worth!

Peter

2)

TARGE
    Date: Circa 1700 (18th Century)
    Nationality: Scottish
    Dimensions: 45.5 cm (18.1 inches) diameter,1.9 kg (4.2 lbs)
    Marks, etc.: Remnants of an old label stuck to the back which appears to read McKenzie Brothers Union St Inverness.

Description: Scottish Targe appears original, with correct wood board construction covered in smooth leather. The front is decorated with Celtic designs of concentric circles in studs, roundels, Iron bosses and brass triangular plates. This example was reputedly hanging in a Scottish museum over one hundred years in Inverness before resurfacing in the hands of elderly gentlemen entering an Arms Fair in London. The Targe still has remnants of an old label stuck to the back which appears to read McKenzie Brothers Union St Inverness.

General Remarks
    The story behind this Targe is as follows: a friend of ours Lynton was on his way into an Arms Fair in London when he spotted an elderly gentleman entering the fair with this Targe under his arm and what turned out to be a highly decorative Italian Maine Gauche. The gent advised that the Targe had been hanging in a Scottish Museum in Inverness for over 100 years and was then latter used as a display piece in the shop of the Highland Dress and Ornament Makers Mackenzie Brothers, the remnants of whose label can still be seen on the back of the Targe. Lynton purchased both items on the steps of the fair and later they passed on to us.

Note: MACKENZIE BROTHERS
    Only a small amount of detail has been noted regarding the firm of MacKenzie Brothers of Inverness. It is certain that they were in business from 1881 until at least 1893, they were first located at 17, Lombard Street, Inverness, an address that was also known as 'The Lombard Street Manufacturing Jewellery and Watchmaking Establishment', in July 1890 they advertised: MacKenzie Brothers, Jewellers, Watchmakers, and Highland Ornament Manufacturers, of 17, Lombard Street, have moved to 22, Union Street. MacKenzie Brothers occupation of this address appears to have been short lived, as by 1893, as can be seen from the advertisement, they had relocated to 26, Union Street, Inverness.

Cheers Cathey & Rex

Edited by Cathey