News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HOW WE USED TO SHAVE....

With this Forum being so new, I am adding a few items to show just how interesting it could be - we already have our first question and a lot of people will be posting as time goes-on.

With progress very few people use a blade to shave with - unless it's one of those expensive three blade types - electric shavers are the item of choice. But, think back a hundred years. Shaving was a cumbersome business and for most people still required a cut-throat razor. Firstly you had to get hot water for your shaving mug, then use a brush to smooth lather from a round soap around your face.

This lovely old shaving mug - probably dating back to late Victorian days - has the name FLORIS on the base. They still exist and are very high class perfumiers, with a Royal Warrant. The mug is Ironstone and was made in the potteries in Staffordshire. Ironstone meant that it had a portion of ground stone mixed-in to give strength. Brushes - if you could afford it - were made from Badger hair. The soap was especially rounded at the top and was flat at the base to fit the top of the mug. Despite being a common item in their day - now they are quite rare, particularly in this condition.

Since there is no question attached to this post, please feel free to comment - we would like to know if you find this new section of interest ?

Shaving was a cumbersome business and for most people still required a cut-throat razor.

I still shave with a cutthroat. Sometimes I cheat with a safety razor, but when I have some time I like to get out the cutthroats.

It was one of those things I was determined to learn.

Best

Chris

I'm a blade man myself, though not as extreme as Chris. :speechless1: I suspose the idea of running a blade over your neck in the morning was the reason for the popularity of beards. ;) I've used a brush and shaving mug for years only changing to the canned foam in the past few years to save time in the morning.

I recall that when I was a youth, even though safety razors and electric razors had been popular for years, the local barber still kept shaving mugs for his patrons. The town's business men each had their own mug which was stored, for their use only, in a pigeon-hole style cupboard just to the side of the barber's large mirror. By the time I was considering shaving this was no longer an available option at the barber's.

Great post, bringing back memories of a time when the pace of life was not as fast as today and people enjoyed life. You could never use a straight razor on an up and coming young professional today as the cell phone or Blackberry would get in the way. :lol:

Regards

Brian

Lovely little shaving jug. I'm not in a position to comment about the death-defying feat that is a man's cut-throat razor shave (female shaving and eyebrow tweezering and so on are hazardous enough!). However, thought I might take the opportunity to point out this page on a new website I've created looking at objects from the Pitt Rivers Museum's collections used for decorating, styling, grooming and modifying the body. These razors date to the 19th century and give a nice idea of what might have accompanied this jug in a gentleman's 'toilet'.

Helen

Lovely little shaving jug. I'm not in a position to comment about the death-defying feat that is a man's cut-throat razor shave (female shaving and eyebrow tweezering and so on are hazardous enough!). However, thought I might take the opportunity to point out this page on a new website I've created looking at objects from the Pitt Rivers Museum's collections used for decorating, styling, grooming and modifying the body. These razors date to the 19th century and give a nice idea of what might have accompanied this jug in a gentleman's 'toilet'.

Helen

Those are nice, I have a 19th Century Indian steel one similar to the one pictured that I use on occasion...

I love them. :-)

• 7 months later...

This Forum on non-militaria items has never drawn the attention that we hoped for -

never mind. When someone has a question we are here to help - and if you look

at the spread of articles, you will see that we have covered some interesting items.

We uncovered this Wilkinson razor in the back of a cupboard - goodness knows how many years

it had been hiding there ? It is very unusual in that it has a built-in strop for sharpening

and also a separate blade marked for each day. Sometime in the past an enquiry was made

by a former owner to Wilkinson and they give it an early date.

Please feel free to add to this post - or, better yet - put on something that might be of interest.

Inside of box

Click to enlarge

• 5 months later...

I've got a nice German razor - they were traditionally believed to be the best steel, I think - but have never had the nerve to try it on my face. Instead it is part of my kit, displayed in my tent, when I do Napoleonic era reenacting.

I do however use a brush and soap, the latter in a shallow plastic dish, when I've missed a day with the electric, as I find the electric only works well on short bristles - less than 48 hours growth.

Peter

Gentlemen......

We must not forget the ladies.......

Listed as "A Ladies Sanitary Razor" just the same as a mans safety razor only in miniature with blades that are very very sharp.....

The 2 Pound coin for size comparison.......

Mike

I believe that part, perhaps most, of the reason for the switch from straight razors to "safety razors", which Mike's are, came with the idea of a daily shave. In the 1810-15, British soldiers shaved twice weekly, on Wednesdays and Sundays, with Jack Tar doing it Wed. & Sat. I think. For that one would need a very sharp safety razor - ie, a new blade each time - or a straight razor. I speak from personal experience, BTW, on needing a new safety blade each time. Even a second use of a cheap razor pulls like H***!

Extraneous note re shaving customs here: I know that as late as the 1950-60s in Canada, people like farmers and labourers might get a professional shave in a barber shop with hot towel, soap, etc. once a week, when they went to town or had a day off. In fact, one of the few perks of being a travelling salesman in the first half of the 20th was being able to get a daily shave on the companies expense account and many small towns had a barbershop right next to or across the street from the 'travellers hotel'. That last phrase may seem redundant but here in North America 'traveller' was a term used to describe travelling salesman. My dad's dad 'travelled in plumbing', selling fixtures across Ontario for a small factory in the town of brantford.

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite shavers... and they shave really well... Gebr. Christians of Solingen... they made razors until about 1920... the top one is a monster from around 1900 and shaves like a dream...

It is a real testament to the quality of the steel that the blade isn't worn down after over 36,000 uses and sharpenings. My mom had some old farm kitchen knives and I have seen how a blade can be reduced through years of hard use.