News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the White Lion

Hi all, a bit of advice if I may request, I have had the attached Commander class order of the white lion in my collection for a number of years. It appears completely authentic, but I've noticed on the few other examples I've seen that the Centre lion always appears silver or silvered, my copy does not have this, there is no sign that any silver finish has been lost or that there was any in the first place, the whole item appears a natural gilt, is this normal or do I have another clunker. There are no visible hallmarks that I can see. If genuine, any value??

attached images, my own and one borrowed from "Najafcoins" website just to show the differences, The first is from Najafcoins and the other two are my scans

regards

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

Alex, it looks like toning to me, I have seen silver go a goldy colour almost as if it is gilt. As far as I can see there does not appear to be anything wrong with it and as one of the more beautiful orders of the 20th century probably close to a £1,000, certainly high hundreds.

PAul

Hi Paul thanks for the comments, the piece although difficult to see on my scans is clearly gilded, what appears to be all over. As to value I admit, it is academic as I am not in the process of disposing of it, it was just a case of trying to establish authenticity, I believe that it quite a rare decoration awarded for a very few short years, this should not be confused with the post 1945 versions which lost the Crown.

thanks

Alex K

• 3 months later...

Hi Alex. Maybe you will be surprised, but this variant with Lion with crown less rare then communist one without crown. Because communist version is from year 1961. After 1945 up to 1961 was used still the same like you have. There are some small differences so it is possible to recognise if award is manufactured befor WWII or after, but only from big detailed photos.

Ondrej

Ondrej,

Most interesting, while I except that the Communist version is much rarer, non-Czech collectors tend to prefer the crowned variety. In my opinion it is one of the most beautifully made post WWI orders.

Paul

Ondrej,

Most interesting, while I except that the Communist version is much rarer, non-Czech collectors tend to prefer the crowned variety. In my opinion it is one of the most beautifully made post WWI orders.

Paul

Hi Paul, I have to agree, it looks and feels impressive in the hand, must look for a case for it instead of bubblewrap!!

Alex

• 2 months later...
    • 3 years later...