News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...

Since we're on the subject of watches here are mine.  I especially like the one with the bullet hole.  It passes completely through and totally destroyed the case and movement.  The movement was probably Swiss but the case is German (as evidenced by the German silversmith's touch marks).  The one in the upper right has a plain blued steel case and radium dial.  It's of Swiss manufacture and I'm assuming WWI period and saw German use?  The example on the lower right is the same patriotic case as Chris Boonzier shows - the watch was made by W. Becker and Cie. of Hamburg on a 1916 "Iron for Gold" chain.  The fob is, I think, the really interesting part.  Can anyone shed light on what the symbolism means?  Four stacked skulls and the wording  "WER WAR BETTLER, UND WAR WEISER, WER DER KOENIG, WER WAR KAISER" and there is an Egyptian sphinx on the other side.  Loosely translated it comes out to something like this: Who was the beggar and who was wiser, who is the king who was the Kaiser.  There's obviously some kind of context I'm missing.  Any ideas?

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

Edited by 120RIR
    Typos

.....Can anyone shed light on what the symbolism means?  Four stacked skulls and the wording  "WER WAR BETTLER, UND WAR WEISER, WER DER KOENIG, WER WAR KAISER" and there is an Egyptian sphinx on the other side.  Loosely translated it comes out to something like this: Who was the beggar and who was wiser, who is the king who was the Kaiser.  There's obviously some kind of context I'm missing.  Any ideas?

Hi 120RIR,

take a look here: Bavarian Illuminati - Skull and Bones

"From the German Chapter. Presented by Patriarch D.C. Gilman of D. 50". Above the vault is a German engraving which translates to, “Who was the fool, who the wise man, beggar or king?” This parallels the Bavarian Illuminati initiation ritual in which the initiate is presented with a human skeleton and asked if it is the skeleton of a king, a nobleman or a beggar. "

Best regards,

Jens