News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good Afternoon Everyone.

Well, I have a question. Just what is this badge? Is it real or a fantasy piece?
    It is well made, hallmarked and heavy in the hand. Just over 2 inches long it is too big to be a lapel badge. I just got my copy of Airships over Ulster and The photographs of personnel show standard RNAS or RN hat badges for all ranks. Any information would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Robert

001.JPG

003.JPG

Hello Robert and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I know nothing about badges but if it's hallmarked it would suggest to me that the piece is correct. What's the letter stamp.

The Gaunt stamp looks like JF however, I assume it's a rubbed JR.

If no one can give you a definite answer you might want to ask on the British military badge forum.

Tony

I have never seen anything like this in a context of official military insignia. To me it looks like it was composed from 2 parts, with the inner part marked. The wreath-and-crown part reminds me of the (Army) Warrant Officers Class 2 badge of rank. So, my guess is, a sweetheart badge (however, they mostly are pin broached).

Is it all in massive white metal or coloured?

Thank you Jerry,  I agree that it is probably a sweetheart badge, but wonder how they got a perfect match on the metals without plating?  You can see where the two parts are joined.  Unless they are both a sort of silver that doesn't tarnish easily.

Robert

Whilst this may be a made up badge I have to say that I have never come across a Sweetheart badge with a two lug fixing as shown, can't imagine any Sweetheart being to keen to make the required holes in his or hers favorite clothing item to wear this,

Which leaves the question is this a badge none of us have seen before or has it been made to deceive or is at indeed some form of Sweetheart or unofficial item?

Regards Simon.

A trawl on the net shows a number of these badges and the link below shows one recently sold on EBAY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-BRITISH-ROYAL-NAVAL-AIR-SERVICE-CAP-BADGE-RNAS-FLYING-CORPS-/281613014652?nma=true&si=362CHRgxRkJgJ5OHyXFMbSGNmmI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Regards Simon

@ Simon,

The badge offered, to my opinion, is to cheap to be a modern commercial repro.

However, as I put before, the construction of the badge is out of the ordinary....

My advice would be, not to pay to much for it (Caveat Emptor).

I want to thank everyone for their opinion.  It is rather large to be a sweetheart pin, and does have lugs.  As to quality, it is  AT LEAST as well made than most original period badges I have examined.  It is very high quality.  Perhaps in the photos it looks like cheap white metal.  With so much work spend on it by the manufacturer,  if not real, I would think it may have been deliberately made to deceive.  I'm sure we have all seen cheap knock offs of various badges, RNAS Armoured Car Section badges come to mind.  This is well about this quality in weight and detail.

Hi Simon, I noticed the one in the link is not hallmarked.  While I agree many Gaunt markings are raised, I have had some that were recessed.

Robert

As there is no badge for the airship division of the RNAS I wonder if this badge could be a private commission to be worn by veterans of the service in mufti and at parades to show there particular backgrounds?

We have a history here in Scotland of wearing clan badges or simple thistle badges on glengarries or balmoral bonnets

rather than regimental badges to show different backgrounds