News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need your Help Gents..

Gents, 

It has indeed been a while and I hope is well with everyone.  I happened upon this item and most likely a family time and not military, However was curious if anyone could shed some light on this piece?

Thank you so much and seeing that it is most likely Scottish, I wanted to give it a whirl. 

Kind Regards, 

Joel 

20170802_061223.jpg

20170802_061228.jpg

The hooks suggest a shoulder belt plate, rather than a waist belt, but that would seem to have the cipher - 'E L'? - turned on its side.  I wonder if it is for a band/piper.

Also, I would have expected a belt plate to be stamped or moulded - late 18th/early 19th century - rather than having the cipher added as this one is, which strikes me as Victorian.  But I may be totally out to lunch!

Very curious but clearly quality work.

Peter, 

I thank you so much for the information you provided. Though there are no marker's marks, I'm in agreement that the craftsmanship is exceptional. Here is another picture from a different angle. 

Thank you again!

Regards,

Joel 

20170802_061240.jpg

Edited by buellmeister

Joel

Ok, then!  Now it's an 'M ?' cipher.  To quote an old joke, I am better informed but none the wiser.  No clue.  

Such a lovely piece, though, that were it mine I'd keep it just for the aesthetic value even if none of the learned gents here or elsewhere can offer a postivie ID. :)

• 1 month later...

Morning Gents

As 'Manuel' once said 'I know nothing' but that never stops me

To me it looks like...

E (curvy)

L (ends Lower)

then the half size 'bit' on the lower right... maybe is ....

i   or   l

------////:-/-/:-------

so...,,

'EL the first' of 'somewhere' is my drunken guess. ?

tony

**Although I reckon sometimes it's better not to know - because It can be harder to keep 'pretty' things on a whim if you do....

• 5 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi Gents

Joel

i not sure which way my edited pic will show.

I've rotated yours 90' and side on it is really looks like an L and E intertwined.IMG_4431.PNG.2ed4783b3a7de6244668844e55245842.PNG

tony

excuse my poor attempt

IMG_4432.thumb.JPG.671c7f2c9aad7268f1e17bb1e856e819.JPG

Edited by Farkas
    Adding poor drawing