News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military Vehicles

Scowen

I know that it is a slim chance, but is there any chance that anyone can id the vehicles in this picture?  It was taken outside a UK school sometime in the 1940's or 1950's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Mili.jpg

I may be way off here but to me the vehicle shown on the left appears to have a gun muzzle facing the camera,  there does not appear to be a muzzle brake of any kind and the smooth outline top right suggests to me that this may be a Sherman tank. The perspective of the photograph makes the figures on the left look large in comparison with this vehicle but there appears to me to be someone standing immediately next to it who would make the Sherman Tank theory appear about the right size.

The vehicle on the right appears to have fairly flat slab plates and I would suggest that this could be a Chevrolet C15 Truck. IMHO.

Regards Simon.

4 hours ago, coldstream said:

I may be way off here but to me the vehicle shown on the left appears to have a gun muzzle facing the camera,  there does not appear to be a muzzle brake of any kind and the smooth outline top right suggests to me that this may be a Sherman tank. The perspective of the photograph makes the figures on the left look large in comparison with this vehicle but there appears to me to be someone standing immediately next to it who would make the Sherman Tank theory appear about the right size.

The vehicle on the right appears to have fairly flat slab plates and I would suggest that this could be a Chevrolet C15 Truck. IMHO.

Regards Simon.

Very blurred photo but i  think Simon may well be correct.

Regards Eddie

It is also possible the vehicle on the right, could be an early Morris Quad, as they were called or a 4x4 artillery tractor ,made by Morris Commercial and Chevrolet in Canada.               

Dave Engineer.

Thank you Gentlemen for your help with this.  I really didn't think anything could be made out from the image as it is so blurred.  Just goes to show how little I know about such things.

The quality is poor due to that fact that it is a small cropped area from a larger image of boys & their teachers from the school presumably doing cross country running.  There is nothing to indicate the date other than these vehicles.

For anyone interested here is the full image.

Thank you again

Don

mili full.jpg

• 3 months later...

The vehicle on the right, approaching the camera, is a Bedford "A" type lorry, the "A" type was introduced in 1953 as the replacement for the famous "O" type. It is a normal control lorry with a bull-nose bonnet, the chrome Bedford badge is clearly seen. The vehicle on the left, going away from the camera, looks to be an ex-military WW2 type that appears to have been converted to a recovery vehicle. Going by the rear of the cab and it's rounded shape , plus the high ground clearance, my guess would be that it is a U.S. built Chevrolet "G" type 1.5 ton 4x4. Pete.