News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Uniform and Picklehaube ... Sorry IG.....

Irish Gunner jinxed me with his comment about finding artillery stuff.... :-(

Yesterday I arrived just in time to save a Bavarian Artillery group....

It consists of the Feldbluse, The Picklehaube and a box full of letters and photos.

From what I can see he dies of the Spanish Flu in November 1917, in January 1918 his father got permission to travel to Flanders to pick up his body for reburial in Germany.

It was pretty pricy, but it was saving history..... The cap etc do not belong to it, it was the Bluse, Haube and paperwork.xx1.thumb.jpg.6d63f0a00a5ed3443a5bb2667c29c7d2.jpgxx2.thumb.jpg.c43d428d98dcba678d29d1865197def2.jpgxx3.thumb.jpg.3d32a70d04a3a2f150bf8024cad1f188.jpgxx4.thumb.jpg.189c0ec2d07454dfa992f2cbae458d09.jpgxx5.thumb.jpg.bfb8d48dc56af6bd724a0c4aea585281.jpg

The Haube was his as an EM, and I assume the Bluse was as well as it is an issue piece.

The Bluse is not tailor made, it comes from a Uniform Factory, so it is probable that this was his mannschaftsbluse upgraded. The Officers Bluse is supposed to have a seam running down the middle of the back, on this one it does not have the seam . (what looks like a seem on the photo is actually a crease). The liner is standard issue with size stamps

45 41

92 63

Factory stamp

"Verband der Damenschneider-Geschäfte

Geschwister Trell"

11 minutes ago, IrishGunner said:

Well done.  The belt, pouch, and holster are what caught my eye, but I guess that didn't come with this group.  Any interesting documents?

A pile of letters to him, and from him to his family, and an interesting letter with the certificate for his MVO4th class. The officer sending it says he knew it was getting approved but died before the award went through, he was forwarding the Award doc to the family but as the recipient had died he had to return the award to the army and could not send it.

Nice one and nice rescue! I always live to see those ww1 uniforms. 

I have a British victory medal - the recipient died also of Spanish flu. It must be cruel for all those man. You are fighting for your life on the battlefield but the death can also get you when you are not fighting. 

PS: I had to giggle as I read Damenschneider :lol:

A dealer had bought it at a show about an hour before I arrived, the items were already on display, but I think it would have been split if I did not do my superhero thing as the Haube and Bluse were already slightly separated on his stall. I think he was happy I took it to keep it together

He was only Promoted to Lt d Res in October/November 1917, So I am a bit surprised at the shoulder board style.

In fact, From the last week of September 1917 the unit was send to Flanders and was in the line for the battle of Passchendaele. on the 15th of October he was promoted to Lt. d. Res., on the 20th of November he is wounded, goes to a field hospital where he seems to have caught the Spanish Flu, staying in Hospital until he died on the 28th of December 1917.

So he was basically promoted in the middle of a battle, served for just over a Month, then a month and a half in hospital until he died. The Tunic has his June 1916 awarded EK ribbon, the MVO4th Class was awarded but he died before he received it, so no MVO ribbon.

He was promoted from Vizefeldwebel, there are no signs of Tressen and no signs of wear so it is safe to assume that this was not his old Bluse upgraded to Officer.

Originally a Mannschafts bluse with both the Bandage and Soldbuch pocket, I think it is not to far fetched to assume that it was organized for him at the front and was as good as never worn. There are only the lightest of signs on the liner that it was worn.

• 2 months later...
    On 08/09/2018 at 13:40, Uffz. Rohleder said:

Nice one and nice rescue! I always live to see those ww1 uniforms. 

I have a British victory medal - the recipient died also of Spanish flu. It must be cruel for all those man. You are fighting for your life on the battlefield but the death can also get you when you are not fighting. 

PS: I had to giggle as I read Damenschneider :lol:

Why ,Rollo . thats was very common .