News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The "dude"....

Chris Boonzaier

Chris Boonzaier wrote: "The cross is always an individual award, not a unit award"

According to my sources since 2011 the Cross for Military Valor may be awarded to French and foreign military units. Two awards with palm to the same unit allows members of the unit to wear a fourragére.

Hi all, interesting that he has an American Army CIB.  

Also, Chris, what is the badge he has with the crossed swords on a wreath?  Always curious about this badge.

Thanks so much!

Greg

18 hours ago, Gunner 1 said:

Chris Boonzaier wrote: "The cross is always an individual award, not a unit award"

According to my sources since 2011 the Cross for Military Valor may be awarded to French and foreign military units. Two awards with palm to the same unit allows members of the unit to wear a fourragére.

Hi, sorry, I explained wrong. The award can be given to a unit, but that does not mean the individual soldier gets the cross... The individual soldier only gets the cross on his medal bar when he has a personal citation. If it is a unit award the colors of the unit get it, and the guys serving in the unit get the Fourragere once the unit has gained the right.

3 hours ago, gjw said:

Hi all, interesting that he has an American Army CIB.  

Also, Chris, what is the badge he has with the crossed swords on a wreath?  Always curious about this badge.

Thanks so much!

Greg

Hi, there are Bronze, silver and gold. BMPE, BMP1, BMP2... Usually the rule of thump is a Cpl gets the Bronze about 6 months after his Cpl course. The Silver is for a Sgt or Chief Cpl who is qualified to carry out a Sgt or squad leader duties and the Gold for higher NCOs qualified as Platoon leaders. The official regulations are probably different, but that is more or less how it is in an Infantry company.

Regarding the CIB, could the soldier have previously served in the US Army and is wearing it as a carry over from prior service?  What are the FFL rules on the wear of previously awarded decorations while serving with other military branches/countries outside of FFL service?  The CIB (combat version) cannot be awarded to foreigners, at least that I am award of. 

Cross for Military Valour with Palm-  What is the US equivalent?  Silver Star?  Congressional Medal of Honor?

HI,

The CIB can be awarded to foreigners attached to the US if I am not mistaken. In the FFL you cannot wear stuff awarded before you joined the legion, unless it was regular French army awards. If I remember right he was awarded the CIB for actions with the yanks in Afghanistan. Only a small number of them got it because they were directly involved with the US troops

10 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi, sorry, I explained wrong. The award can be given to a unit, but that does not mean the individual soldier gets the cross... The individual soldier only gets the cross on his medal bar when he has a personal citation. If it is a unit award the colors of the unit get it, and the guys serving in the unit get the Fourragere once the unit has gained the right.

Hi, there are Bronze, silver and gold. BMPE, BMP1, BMP2... Usually the rule of thump is a Cpl gets the Bronze about 6 months after his Cpl course. The Silver is for a Sgt or Chief Cpl who is qualified to carry out a Sgt or squad leader duties and the Gold for higher NCOs qualified as Platoon leaders. The official regulations are probably different, but that is more or less how it is in an Infantry company.

Thanks Chris!  What does BMPE translate into English?

The CIB can be awarded to foreign personal attached to US Army units as Chris has stated.  The CIB has been awarded to foreign personal during the Korean War, Vietnam and the current war(s) ibn the Middle East.  Not a common award however.

Best,

Greg

Edited by gjw

• 8 months later...
    On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:02, Paul R said:

Cross for Military Valour with Palm-  What is the US equivalent?  Silver Star?  Congressional Medal of Honor?

It is the equivalent to the Croix de guerre (WW 1, WW 2, TOE) if they are in Action which are not declared as wars.

In Germany e.g. there was the Iron Cross during wars, now the German Bundeswehr soldiers get the https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenkreuz_der_Bundeswehr_für_Tapferkeit.

Because they are not Fighting in an declared war.

Here is sth about fourrageres, Maybe you understand German.

https://www.deutsche-gesellschaft-fuer-ordenskunde.de/DGOWP/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ausgabe78.pdf

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:43, Gunner 1 said:

Two awards with palm to the same unit allows members of the unit to wear a fourragére.

They must be given in the same war.

The Regiment gets the award on its drapeau, later the fourragere.

https://www.defense.gouv.fr/actualites/communaute-defense/une-nouvelle-decoration-pour-le-drapeau-du-126e-ri

All memebers of the Regiment are allowed to wear it.

Edited by aubagne98