News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Forced to sell family owned SS dagger my uncle souvenired

Hallo,
    I'm in a pickle and need to sell the SS dagger my uncle brought home to get back on track with a new car. He was a US 110th Inf Rgt, 28th Div. A sergeant, T4, who drove a jeep. The dagger is a 12th SS Panzer field carried early war nickel fitted Roman numeral "I" marked dagger with straight hanger. Back of blade is blank. I'll include the captured enemy property certificate which has his name a S/N as part of the sale.

What are my best options, or the right place in this forum to do so? My attentions are usually for WWI Bavarian research, not selling something like this. My usual sale outlets are banning the item outright. 

Vielen Dank!
    Fritz.

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

Hello Fritz

a real shame you have to sell such a wonderful piece of your family’s history.

a really valuable item with great provenance. And looking at the certificate , your uncle brought some other cool stuff home with the dagger !

just make sure you find a collector to sell to rather than a dealer 

i hope you get  the high price it deserves 

Best of luck Fritz

martin2

Hi Fritz 

i also think that’s a special thing to have.

The certificate, as Martin2 says, is special in its own right, having the two together gives your knife provenance and added value......

You say you’re in a pickle..... hang in there, pickles do pass!

For now though, perhaps you don’t need as much dollar as the knife would sell for?

So perhaps you could pawn your knife? Choose a reputable shop...!

Perhaps, pawn the knife but just show them the certificate and keep it for now. That is if their loan offer on the knife would sort you out.

Hopefully, maybe, you’ll be in a position to buy it back but if not, and it does become theirs, then I’m sure they would want that certificate before they sold it on.

If it has to be sold, perhaps it would buy you time to find the right home for it at the price it deserves. you could continue trying to sell it even when pawned.....

Good luck Fritz

Best wishes

tony

Thank you, gentlemen! I keep getting lowballed on what I was always told in person appears to be a ground Rohm blade. A couple of guys asked me to take it apart to figure out the maker before they would make an offer--not something I would ever do! 

Am trying to resolve this 'pickle' and did consider pawning, but I am in the sticks of middle Connecticut. A pawn shop may not even see 42k selling this.

I have some classic 30's horror film posters, autographs and 1902-1930's Dracula editions in the mix, so hoping those sell and let m keep Uncle Sonny's dagger!

Never go to a pawn shop unless you want to give it away. Better a dealer than a pawn shop...I cannot believe I said that!  If you must sell these two items (keep them together for the sake of Pete!) see if you can find a reputable auction house.  Another thing about the way the world works as far as pawning items.  Once pawned because you absolutely need the cash it is not likely you will come up with the money to purchase it back in the allotted time before the item becomes property of the pawn shop; that's just not being rational.  Look to other ways to raise the cash you need  and keep the dagger. Cars come and cars go, that dagger, once gone will be gone forever.

Regards, and good luck.

Brian

Hi Gents,

i was thinking maybe this was worth a couple of grand or so and buybackable....

Then i thought 42k was a typo?

whats it worth please Gents?

tony

2 hours ago, Brian Wolfe said:

Never go to a pawn shop unless you want to give it away. Better a dealer than a pawn shop...I cannot believe I said that!  If you must sell these two items (keep them together for the sake of Pete!) see if you can find a reputable auction house.  Another thing about the way the world works as far as pawning items.  Once pawned because you absolutely need the cash it is not likely you will come up with the money to purchase it back in the allotted time before the item becomes property of the pawn shop; that's just not being rational.  Look to other ways to raise the cash you need  and keep the dagger. Cars come and cars go, that dagger, once gone will be gone forever.

Regards, and good luck.

Brian

Agree!

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple, but bear in mind that they are priced with accessories included, as pictured. 

https://therupturedduck.com/collections/edged-blades/products/model-36-german-ss-chain-dagger-1?variant=12092592455753

and

https://therupturedduck.com/collections/edged-blades/products/model-36-german-ss-chain-dagger?variant=12092591276105

Maybe a little more than 2K.  

Regards

Paul