News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India General Service Medal and Bar

Evening Gents,

Just arrived today !

A nice IGS with Waziristan 1919-21 bar

Named to 1598 SEP WADHAWA SINGH.3-152 PJBS

Comments appreciated!

Also please show your own examples with the varying bars available for this medal.

Cheers

Paul

A late response: I have one named to another PJBS: * 265 Lance Naik Kaloo Khan 2-152 PJBIS*, wiyh Bars Waziristan 1919-21, Mahsud 1919-20

Regards

Miguel :cheers:

I especially like the bronze "cooly" ones. One never sees these/those any more.

A trove of the GV ones for Abor were located by a northern British seller of medals a few years back, lying unissued (it was never easy to track down these piece-work support personnel to get their medals to them) in north-east India. These were in pristine condition and purchased as waste-metal prices. If you see an "Abor" in good condition, it almost surely came from this bunch. I am lucky to have not just some of these bronze Abors but some of the issued and worn (and very worn) ones, but none in groups (the only bronze groups I have are earlier); a friend has a nice Abor/WWI/WWII group in mixed non-combatant and combatant roles (came out as Subadar-Major).

I believe most of the bronze Tibet Medals came from a similar (or Simla) source. Wish I still had one of them. :(

Right, forgot to mention them. Mostly Tibets (Simla-side) and IGS08s "Abor" (Darjeeling-side) from what I have been told.

• 4 months later...

Really nice, there must be some superb combinations out there. This thread and indeed this site inspired me to look out for these odd times when I am not collecting uniform or chaplains stuff :) Now I have started [slowly] I must also start to read up more on these little campaigns.

• 4 weeks later...

Ed,

Whats the difference between a Calcutta Strike and one from the UK??

Cheers,

Paul

It's about the suspension, attached is an image of a standard and Calcutta mint suspension, the difference is quite marked.

Sorry if this is an old post but hey what the heck!

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

• 3 weeks later...

Bearng in mind though that the the suspension on the left is straight armed rather than curved as per the IGSM.

Yes, that previous scan is more that a little bit misleading. Unfortiunately, I have no UK-made specimens (as they weren't awarded to Indians) for comparison purposes. Most of the good (BB&M) and even not-so-good (MYB) reference books show good images.

Yes, that previous scan is more that a little bit misleading. Unfortiunately, I have no UK-made specimens (as they weren't awarded to Indians) for comparison purposes. Most of the good (BB&M) and even not-so-good (MYB) reference books show good images.

You are of course quite right, silly of me, I never noticed funnilly enough that one was straight and the other one wasn't, I was trying to highlight the differences as to the way the suspensions are attached to the coin.

regards