News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

North Korean Awards

Another collecting line of mine are other Communist Orders and i started, more per accident with North Korean Awards.

This one is the Order of the 20th anniversary of the DPRK( Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea)

Edited by Gerd

• Replies 175
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Well, there was an "Order of Commemoration of the DPRK Foundation 20th Anniversary" in 1968, so 50th would be from 1998--

my only North Korean book (David Cabral's "Orders and Decorations of the Democratic Peoples (sic) Republic of Korea" came out in 1994, so no clue, me!

The Order of Labor is 2nd type, changed to this late 1960s or early 1970s. It says "Noryok" ("Workers Party") in the flag on front.

Guest Rick Research

My sole contribution is the 1945 Liberation Medal, created in 1948 and apparently only/?mainly awarded to the Soviet forces then garrisoning the country as they theoretically were leaving.

And a photo, showing this medal being worn by a medical LtCol around 1950, as usual for foreign awards, below Soviet awards.

Guest Rick Research

I doubt it IS physically possible to bend festooned like that-- I wonder if the cloth flaps under all that ironmongery are hanging LOOSE, sewn at the upper end, but otherwise loose so they can be lifted...

to sit down?

Orrrr..... maybe THIS is why they stand up to take the salute in open cars!!! :speechless-smiley-004: biggrin.gif

Guest Darrell

I doubt it IS physically possible to bend festooned like that-- I wonder if the cloth flaps under all that ironmongery are hanging LOOSE, sewn at the upper end, but otherwise loose so they can be lifted...

Then he could just unsnap the flap .. snap his fingers have a servant come over and take them away for safe keeping biggrin.gif

And the good thing about the last one posted, it came with a document.

Still have to find someone, who can read it...

I had to light the picture of the cover up a bit, because the writing wasn?t readable. Its dark brown in reality.

Guest Rick Research

Gerd-- it looks like the entries on the left page (a 1945 birth date, apparently, to go with the ? 1985 award date) appear to have been erased and re-written-- there is no "green" under several lines, which look gray, and it looks like a bottom line was erased of several characters completely. ???

All very mysterious, not being able to read Korean.

Gerd-- it looks like the entries on the left page (a 1945 birth date, apparently, to go with the ? 1985 award date) appear to have been erased and re-written-- there is no "green" under several lines, which look gray, and it looks like a bottom line was erased of several characters completely.  ???

All very mysterious, not being able to read Korean.

You are absolutely right, Rick. There is something deleted and new filled out. I will ask the seller about this. He shall send me another doc.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Gerd

Hi guys,

My one and only N. Korean medal, it's military medal of sorts........for the life of me I don't recall exactly just now (great post Marcus tut)

Gerd broth,

You have some nice ones, I bought this because it was.......well I just liked it and it was so cheap from e bay, about 3 pounds.

There's a multitude of these N. Korean medals and I think they're great, we know so little about them and it will only be a matter of time and I bet these will be faked and they'll certainly creep up in price !!!

Kr

Marcus

Hi guys,

My one and only N. Korean medal, it's military medal of sorts........for the life of me I don't recall exactly just now (great post Marcus tut)

Gerd broth,

You have some nice ones, I bought this because it was.......well I just liked it and it was so cheap from e bay, about 3 pounds.

There's a multitude of these N. Korean medals and I think they're great, we know so little about them and it will only be a matter of time and I bet these will be faked and they'll certainly creep up in price !!!

Kr

Marcus

Nice one, Marcus. This one is still missing in my collection, but you still can get it chap on ebay. I guess, you are right with the prices. They will climb a little, when they start to fake these, but probably not this century. There is not much demand for this NK-awards yet, but slowly they become collectible, like it seems.

Thanks for posting your medal, brother.

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

Marcus-- that's the "Meritorious Service Medal" which is for labor achievements.

Actually, it would not surprise me in the least if fake North Korean stuff starts showing up. I am not aware of any NOW...

but North Vietnamese fakes and fantasy items have been flooding the market for years, and by a conservative estimate of what I see at shows,

95% of supposed Red Chinese badges and the like are brand new frauds and fantasy items. (Beware of TRAYS full of awards all with matching dull finishes and plastic "ribbons") Any "market" there might have been for Red Chinese items has been effectively destroyed BEFORE there was any interest at all. :speechless:

Marcus-- that's the "Meritorious Service Medal" which is for labor achievements.

Actually, it would not surprise me in the least if fake North Korean stuff starts showing up. I am not aware of any NOW...

but North Vietnamese fakes and fantasy items have been flooding the market for years, and by a conservative estimate of what I see at shows,

95% of supposed Red Chinese badges and the like are brand new frauds and fantasy items. (Beware of TRAYS full of awards all with matching dull finishes and plastic "ribbons") Any "market" ther might have been for REd Chinese items has been effectively destroyed BEFORE there was any interest at all.   wink.gif

So far i haven?t seen any fakes of NK awards out there yet, but you never know... If they start to fake a Medal for 5 Dollar, then everything is possible, i guess. They are probably quite easy to fake (at least the Order of National Flag) and the screwback versions go for much more than these pinback versions. So i wouldn?t be surprised to see fakes of these on the market. The day will come, i am sure....

Gerd

Edited by Gerd