News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

North Korean Awards

Hi, Hendrik

Your Badge China Friendship is fake.

Hello usairforce,

Can you tell me why it is a fake ? What, in your opinion, are the points that make the badge I have different from an original ?

Regards,

Hendrik

• Replies 175
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pin fixing of 'coiled wire' with presumably a copper base points to the new Chinese fake industry.

Look on ebaY and you'll find orders of the patriotic war like this.

Interestingly, a large number of quite authentic early Mongolian awards have this construction, so it may not be as absolute as BR wants it to sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

Another great collection of items you have. Those old DPRK orders are actually quite something! I have quite a few of the new versions of orders, just because they were cheap and I wanted to see them in person. They're just OK. But I just got in this 1st type Order of Labor, and it is spectacular! It has enamel repair in several places, but it is exquisitely done and for this price it was a bargain. I can't wait to get another old-type DPRK order. :jumping:

Matthijs, Great award!!!

How much would it cost today?

You mentioned the condition wasn't top, by how much are Korean awards discounted in presence of repairs/ damage?

William

Edited by new world

Hi William,

I think the interest is not (yet) great for DPRK stuff, but this order is definitely collectable. It is silver gilt, numbered, made in the Soviet Union, and great looking. Since supply outstrips demand at this point you can strike a great bargain for these pieces. And also, since the supply of perfect ones is quite big (comparatively speaking) most people would want that instead of a damaged/repaired piece. So I would think that damaged ones are significantly cheaper (as in my case).

I think a fair price for an undamaged one should be around $1,500 - $2,000, although many are listed for more (I've seen $3,000, even $4,000). Whether they would sell for that price, and not be negotiated down, I don't know.

The piece I have was professionally restored, and it is VERY hard to tell it's been repaired. For the rest it is in excellent condition for a 1950s piece.

I would not be surprised if the demand for these goes up quickly, and also, the DPRK orders not made in the Soviet Union will never be really collectable.

Matt.

Matthijs, Great award!!!

How much would it cost today?

You mentioned the condition wasn't top, by how much are Korean awards discounted in presence of repairs/ damage?

William

Hi William,

I think the interest is not (yet) great for DPRK stuff, but this order is definitely collectable. It is silver gilt, numbered, made in the Soviet Union, and great looking. Since supply outstrips demand at this point you can strike a great bargain for these pieces. And also, since the supply of perfect ones is quite big (comparatively speaking) most people would want that instead of a damaged/repaired piece. So I would think that damaged ones are significantly cheaper (as in my case).

I think a fair price for an undamaged one should be around $1,500 - $2,000, although many are listed for more (I've seen $3,000, even $4,000). Whether they would sell for that price, and not be negotiated down, I don't know.

The piece I have was professionally restored, and it is VERY hard to tell it's been repaired. For the rest it is in excellent condition for a 1950s piece.

I would not be surprised if the demand for these goes up quickly, and also, the DPRK orders not made in the Soviet Union will never be really collectable.

Matt.

Matt,

Well done, I think you did great - low price for a Mondvor piece where repairs are not noticeable at all.

I agree about Korean made pieces - the prices actually went down from few years ago. I remember about 5 yrs ago when I developed interest in N Korean awards - even 3rd classes would sell on eBay for decent money - about $20-30. Now there are tons of them in the market for lower price and very few buys.

What do you think about Chech made pieces? Their quality seems to be on par with Soviet made awards.

William

I"ve only handled a very few Czech pieces, but they are very nice. And when you hold a Czech or Soviet piece and put it next to a "native" (possibly Chinese-made) piece, there is no comparison.

Just like Yugo stuff, now that Soviet and Mongolian areas are getting very pricey I think DPRK stuff will go up and up (I hope!!)

Matt,

Well done, I think you did great - low price for a Mondvor piece where repairs are not noticeable at all.

I agree about Korean made pieces - the prices actually went down from few years ago. I remember about 5 yrs ago when I developed interest in N Korean awards - even 3rd classes would sell on eBay for decent money - about $20-30. Now there are tons of them in the market for lower price and very few buys.

What do you think about Chech made pieces? Their quality seems to be on par with Soviet made awards.

William

Edited by DutchBoy

Hi, Dear Ed

William's Labor Honor is not purchased from me:)

Tang Si

That's correct, this time it will come from different person.

But I bought some very nice pieces from Tang Si in the past and always been happy to deal with him.

William

Edited by new world

Interestingly, a large number of quite authentic early Mongolian awards have this construction, so it may not be as absolute as BR wants it to sound.

I don't want it to sound any particular way, just simply made the point about Chinese fake Orders of the Patriotic War, and even Belarusian Republic Red Banners having this fixing.

Interesting point about early Mongolian badges though.

• 1 month later...

Hallo Gents, :beer:

my one and only North Korean piece obtained today Saturday 02 June 2007,

at the Brasov Collectors Fair.

The yellow on the red is caused by a reflection of the light.

Any comments welcome,

Kevin in Deva. :cheers: