News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St. John's Iron Cross

Ralph A

It's heavy! My scale is put away, but even without the suspension bar it weighs as much as a Knight's Cross.

A lot of silver is in the thing. Core appears to be brass.

(In the comparison shot below, it's the one in the center. A 1914 EK2 is above it, and a 1914 EK1 is beneath it.)

Edited by Ralph A

Some misc. shots.

Made in Akron OH, USA...

...well who knows...

I'm going to contact the Lodge and see if they can shed some light on the piece. I would like to know the significance of the date, for one thing; and see if they can tell me when this was made.

Hi Gents ...You have to remember that the Dietrich's Type A & B designation refers to the dies used for the RK's only...not the 1st or 2nd class EK's . Ralph ..you found a great Medal here ...I would have bought it in a heartbeat

Edited by Mike

Hi Gents ...You have to remember that the Dietrich's Type A & B designation refers to the dies used for the RK's only...not the 1st or 2nd class EK's . IMO The die used on this was not a typical TR period die ...look at the space where the Swas would go , not enough room ...and the depth of the beading , corner seam's and lack of symmetry (look at how the beaded corner between the 12 and 3 o'clock dips too far into the center where the "Swas" would be). Look at how thick (or wide) the flange is on the 3 o'clock arm , now compare that flat flange to the 9 o'clock arm.

Okay Mike. :speechless: Just a little good natured joking going on. :unsure: I promise it won't happen again.

Dan Murphy

Okay Mike. :speechless: Just a little good natured joking going on. :unsure: I promise it won't happen again.

Dan Murphy

Sorry about that Dan ..I thought you were honestly thinking that was a Type A ...you know , you kids today :speechless:

Thanks for the compliment, I am a kid at heart. :jumping: But I do remember the Marx brothers and not from CDs. I'll be 48 in a week or so. :cheers: BTW, Nice cross you have there.

Dan Murphy

A little early but ..Happy Birthday Dan ! ..I just turned 50 - 3 weeks ago , I'm still trying to figure out what happened. :(

I'm keeping my eyes open for one of these now ..let us know what you find out from the Lodge Ralph

Edited by Mike

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: When I turn 50 I'm letting my hair grow, getting tattoos and a motorcycle, and gonna start hitting on high school girls. Look out, world. :cool:

I can't believe no one had anything to say about the music.* That's easily the best part... the heck with the cross..........

:cheeky:

More greats:

http://www.ktecorps.org/trestleboard.html

http://www.ktecorps.org/Coeurdelion.html

And now, I leave you with the official theme song for this thread:

http://www.ktecorps.org/woods.html :cheeky::cheeky:

*(Is that a triple-negative? Kids, don't try this at home.)

That's easily the best part... the heck with the cross..........

Ralph,

Cool. You keep the music, I get the cross. Done deal? ;) Your "theme" sounds like accompaniment to a silent movie. :unsure: I had no idea you were that old. :P

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

• 1 month later...

Hi Ralph,

So glad you pm'd me the link to this one. Just a terrific piece! I'm not generally into Masonic, etc. but this one is a beaut.

Got me to thinking also about a collection of such that our local museum has. I'll get with one of the officers up there and see about them getting me in for a bit to take some good pics of such. In fact, it "might" be possible if I get ahold of the President that she might let me take the case for a few hours and come back and scan them in so I can get really good pics. It's to their advantage in a way as when I post such things, the more info I can get back it all goes to them and helps to add to their displays. :beer:

I'll see what I can do as they do have a nice little collection of such things.

I'm dying to know if you get more info on this one as it's an absolute gem!

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• 6 months later...