News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

order of glory 3rd class - but what to do now?

i was able to get this nice conditioned decoration with the mail today. now i'm interested, how i can order the awardees data from the russian archive.

(or isn't it "worth" to research?)

and is it possible to say anything by the number at the moment?

thanks a lot for any kind of help christian

Guest Darrell

This serial number indicates it was awarded sometime between February and May 1945.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Actually, from that high a number, I would take this to be a late award made around 1956.

Just going by a couple of award dates before and after this serial number from the Green Bible :cheeky:

Guest Rick Research

Awwww, I don't HAVE the Green Bible. I'm going by the database numbers/dates maintained here on the website.

In fact, speak of the devil... Here's an award card I just got yesterday for another 600,000 series Glory 3rd...

Dave

Hello NavyFCO,

How do you get the original award card? I just get bad quality photocopies.

• 4 months later...

Excellent, Christian. :beer:

Thats a nice a quite typical citation for an Order of Glory.

The 161st Rifle Divisions final title to the end of the war was "161st Rifle Stanislav Order of the Red Banner, Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky Division"

They later took part in the Lvov-Sandomir operation in July 1944 with the 1st Guards Army.

And, you are hooked now? ;) Any more numbered soviet awards, you are going to research? :jumping:

best,

Gerd

I've seen a LOT of researched Glory citations, and that's one of the best I've seen. I love how he wounded the German officer, and then DRAGGED him back to the Soviet positions for interrogation. Can you imagine DRAGGING a wounded enemy soldier anywhere, let alone back to your lines? WOW! :speechless1:

Very cool!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Notice that he was a SERGEANT (3 stripes) in the citation, but a "private" on the 1955 Award Record Card. And that his 3 million plus Valor Medal is given an authorization date of "1944" when that is a 1953+ number...

the high numbers on both these awards suggest that they were "catch ups" IN 1955.

And what could have caused that 10 year delay?

Why, maybe whatever turned a Sergeant into a Private. And an "Independent Scouting Company" at ARMY level, where the very young Sergeant was a private? Does that not suggest a PUNISHMENT UNIT, perhaps? :speechless1::rolleyes:

Why, maybe whatever turned a Sergeant into a Private. And an "Independent Scouting Company" at ARMY level, where the very young Sergeant was a private? Does that not suggest a PUNISHMENT UNIT, perhaps? :speechless1::rolleyes:

I don't think it was anything that drastic... I think they probably did temporary promotions during the War, and likewise "downsized" after the War. I am currently selling a Red Star whose recipient was a Lieutenant during the War, and on his catch-up AC, he's listed as a Private. Now if you want to wonder about a demotion, there's one for some odd theories......

Dave