News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researched OPW 2nd class Nr. 541316

Guest Rick Research

Sergeant ("Serzhant"-- 3 stripes) Mikhail Alekseevich KOVALEV was born in 1904 in the village of Babin...., Yelamsky Raion, Stalingradsky Oblast. CPSU since 1942. Primary education, Ukrainian.

In Red Army September 1924 to December 1926 and November 1941 to September 1943.

ARC line 11 says that at time decorated, he was a senior inspector of the "ROMVA," whatever THAT was, in Uch-Kurgansky Raion and still that per line 12, in Namangansky Oblast of the Uzbek SSR, address Cotton factory Number 9, Uch-Krgansky Raion.

The OPW2 is by decree of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on 4 May 1945!!!!!!!

Citation says formerly a sergeant and assitant platoon commander-- now discharged to the reserves and employed in Uch. Kurgansky by the NKVD as a (I can't read it) inspector.

The citation varies from his Patriotic War service as shown on the ARC, saying Sevastapol Front from 5 january to 27 June 1942.

ONE SEVERE WOUND.

No other awards.

Citation:

"Took part in the Patriotic War on the Sevastapol Front ... November 1942 as an assistant platoon commander in the

452 Independent Motor-Reconnaissance Regiment

around the city of Sevastapol, was wounded in the left foot/leg by an aerial bomb splinter. The whole time since work in Uch-Kurgansky RO NKVD as a (((I can't read it AGAIN))) inspector.

Sounds like he was in an NKVD military unit. Hmmm. A cotton factory inside the GULAG, perhaps? Hmm.

Just want to make some additions to Rick's translation.

In the citation on section 3 it says:

Platoon commander assistant, now in the reserve, enlisted to Uch-Kurgansk Military Registration Office (Уч-Курган is a city in Uzbekistan), works as a fire inspector in NKVD Regional Department (РО - Районный Отдел - Regional Department).

He was born in the village of Babinkino.

Gerd, it is not ROMVA. It is ROMVD. Which states for Районный Отдел Министерства Внутренних Дел - Regional Department of Ministry of Internal Affairs. NKVD after the war was converted to MVD but carried out same functions.

Gerd, it is not ROMVA. It is ROMVD. Which states for Районный Отдел Министерства Внутренних Дел - Regional Department of Ministry of Internal Affairs. NKVD after the war was converted to MVD but carried out same functions.

Thanks, Andrei. Excellent! :beer:

So a post-war wound catch-up award given to a fire inspector. Cool! I've seen a few guys that worked for the NKVD after they were invalided out of the military. Seems that was a pretty common place to go, particularly for administrative work.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, its indeed interesting. I haven?t seen so many researchees like you have, but i already thought, this might be something unusual. Seems, like this is one of the earliest OPW?s with a citation like this for the wounds he received. Paul Schmitt lists in "Echoes of war" another one with a higher 5XX.XXX number and thats the first in his list for wounds. Of course there could be earlier ones, but probably not that much.

• 3 months later...