News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non Combatant EK 2 1914

Hello

I have just acquired a non combatant EK 2. The EK is standard three piece construction, with magnetic iron core. The ring stamping is quite worn but appears to be either 'WS' or 'W&S'. The ribbon doesn't glow under UV light and passes the burn test.

As usual, any comments or observations welcomed.

Nice Cross :beer:

I am sure that I do not need to tell you that you have a nice and rare piece. The only "not so good thought" that I would have is that without it being part of an original mounted medal bar, there is no way to really determine how long the cross and ribbon have been together.

Remember... there were only 13,000 NC 1914 EK2 s awarded in WW1 versus the 5,000,000 Combatant versions.

Hello

Thanks for the comments Paul. The same thought had crossed my mind as well. It's one of those things that will never be known one way or the other. Either way it appears to be of the period.

I agree with Joe on this point. The only difference between a NK and K EK is the ribbon. If the NK EK is not on a medal bar then there is no assurance that it was awarded as a NK EK. I think it is much more correct to say that a NK ribbon is rarer then a K ribbon, but then again after the war I am sure there were rolls and rolls of NK ribbon around.

I have been trying to get my hands on a NK ribbon bar. Much harder to find.

This is probably the original ribbon to this piece. Look at how the ribbon has molded itself to the ribbon ring and the slight wear there. This is what Stogie has told us to look for on medal bars to determine originality. I see no reason why it should not be applied here. Not everyone had their medals mounted, Stogie just recently sold a grouping that was still in the cases/ packets.

Dan