News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Humble East German Accumulation

A few quick shots of my East German insignia collection posted at the request of Dan. I picked up quite a bit from 86-89 when I was stationd in Berlin. Had a 10+ year hiatus while I concentrated on my military career and US insignia collection. Started back up again around 03. Kevin

It looks like you have quite a bit of DDR stuff :jumping: It needs to get out of the box :P

:beer: Doc

Doc - I've been too cheap to buy Ryker mounts. Maybe I will now that I've taken my daughter off to college this week and now have a den/office.

Hi Kevin,

OUTSTANDING! :beer: So... that's where all those early qualification badges ended up! :rolleyes: No wonder I can never find any! :lol:

How I'd love to go to a garage sale sometime and ask... do you happen to have any military stuff and have them show me a pile like this... all for say $50! I'd die on the spot and go right to heaven! I could dig around in those boxes and bags forever. :D

And I totally agree with Doc... it's time to come out of the boxes. Will make some beautiful displays. :jumping:

Once you get them set up in Riker's would love to see some more shots. Like some of the bagged items.

Also, is that a documented award with a photo of the presentation? :o That's another dream... not only to get something with a photo of the original recipient wearing one or more of the awards in a set I now own but to have a photo(s) of the original presentation. I think it's more likely to happen in a German set and since I've pretty much gotten out of TR it would have to be either West German or more likely DDR.

That one's an absolute treasure in my eyes. You've "GOT" to do up a display with that set! :love:

Kevin... thanks so much for sharing all these goodies. Definitely want to see more of it all as you get it out and ready for display. :cheers:

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yes I have a documented Bronze VVO with a photo of the individual receiving it. I also have a documented Banner der Arbeit III. Not all of my stuff is boxed up. With my daughter just going off to college I've gained a room of my own, so now most of my books are out and readily available.

Here are a few shots of hats and books. Not everything but much of it.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Again WOW! :P Great collection. Be fantastic once you have it all out on display. Are those DDR armored binocs I spy? Have wanted a set of those forever. I managed to get a set of USMC armored binocs when we were in California about a year and a half ago and I love them. But the DDR ones always seem to go for mucho... too much for now but hopefully down the road as I'd dearly love a set of those, a set of Soviet's and a pair of U.S. Navy Bureau of Ships marked.

Great job on those documented ones you have... I definitely would love a Banner der Arbeit documented... if not a full set with the Urkunden. It's one of my favorite DDR Orders... well the affordable ones that is. :cheeky: Those and the Grim Reaper Order.

Again fantastic collection! Definitely post pics when everything is out on display. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

You have a great collection! I especially like your cased awards! Did you get all of the trade badges when you were overseas, or are they recent purchases?

Thank you for sharing!

Paul - Thanks for the props! You however have me beat hands down when it comes to uniforms. :D I only have a few, due mostly to my frequent moves in the military over the years. Insignia is much more compact and portable.

As for trade badges, I picked up 98% while I was stationed in Berlin, many coming out of a coin store in East Berlin of all places! I have a full set of the 86 classification badges if you don't count a few numbered hangers I still need for the pilot's badge. I also have a full set of the classification badges issued in the years before 86, including the mini pins. I'm missing just one para badge with the 2,500 hanger. My big hole is the older badges from the early 60s. Even the restrikes done in the 90s are commanding high prices, like for the Panzerfaher.

Right now I'm concentrating on shoulder boards. I have hundreds of pairs but am still in need of quite a few, especially in Navy and AF. I've branched out into VOPO, Customs, Fire, etc. in recent years and pick them up when I can't find military boards. So as a result I have a huge selection of VOPO boards to trade.

Edited by ehrentitle

But you have the market cornered on the high end medals and badges!!! Nice! What is a nice para badge going for these days? I need to get a couple for some tunics.

What shoulder boards do you need? I do have BOXES of those.

But you have the market cornered on the high end medals and badges!!! Nice! What is a nice para badge going for these days? I need to get a couple for some tunics.

What shoulder boards do you need? I do have BOXES of those.

Sadly no, the highest I have a silver and two bronze VVO. There are many higher that I probably will never have the money to buy.

Paul - On US E-bay Para badges are usually in the 15-20 dollar range, depending upon the hanger number. You can probably get them cheaper on Ebay.de, but I have not been actively looking. Then there is a version of the badge issued from 67-73 that has a silver rather than a gold metal in the parachute risers and background of the badge, these are tougher to find and much more expensive. I only have one example of this type. Also be careful of the 60-67 wing type para badge. Original examples are rare and expensive so there are a lot of German restrikes and they have also been reproduced in Russia with a single post.

On shoulderboards I can e-mail you my spreadsheet if you can open Excel. I had to start using a spreadsheet about a year ago because I couldn't remember what was what. I'm weakest in Navy. I've also got holes in rear service. para, artillery air defense and air force. Unfortunately I've not cataloged my VOPO shoulder boards, so I have no clue what I need. I have both NVA and VOPO to trade. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle