News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe silverware/dishware

Hi all,

Here's a couple of knives, a fork and a spoon. Also a mug, soup bowl and platter. If anyone else has any please add them to the pile. :P:beer:

The knives... not a great shape. Looks like they were found in the rubble after a bombing. They are marked on the blades as follows:

HM

Z

In a triangle.

Feinstahl

Solingen

Rostfrei

I tried several times to get this to scan but it just would not show up no matter what I tried.

[attachmentid=52286]

[attachmentid=52287]

[attachmentid=52288]

The fork:

[attachmentid=52289]

[attachmentid=52290]

[attachmentid=52292]

[attachmentid=52291]

The spoon:

[attachmentid=52293]

[attachmentid=52294]

[attachmentid=52295]

[attachmentid=52296]

On the dishware I've only scanned the markings. These are all the standard white dishware used in the German Armed Forces. I'll be happy to do full pics of them but I'll have to do it sometime tomorrow.

First the mug... just a plain white mug with no handle:

[attachmentid=52297]

Soup bowl:

[attachmentid=52298]

And platter... many a turkey dinner has been served off of this baby, along with our other regular platter as we often needed two when we had company over for Thanksgiving or Christmas:

[attachmentid=52299]

If anyone knows what any of these markings signify please let me know. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Very interesting pieces. I know nothing about dinnerware, the pieces do make for an interesting display.

Hi Paul,

Thanks. :P Nice thing is, they can actually be used, unlike alot of militaria. I was quite serious in that the platter has been used on more than one Christmas or Thanksgiving. We have one other big platter (just regular modern) but when we had alot of guests as we used to do down in Florida we'd have to recruit the Luftwaffe to help us out. :cheeky: And help they did.

I dearly would have loved some personality pieces in this department... from AH or Goering or Speer as they had some really nice stuff. But by the time I came into the hobby those were already up there and moving steadily higher. But as a general rule, from the regular services this stuff tends to be rather inexpensive. Not alot of folks seem to be into it. And one can only imagine how much of it was made, what with all the bases, troops, etc. Not like modern militaries where most are fed at bases on metal or plastic trays and such.

I only wish those two knives were not in such bad shape. I can only imagine that they were indeed in a bombing raid or in a building that got blown up or something. A shame as they were once really nice I'm sure. And they've got an earlier date too.

Seems every once in a while I spot a piece or two for cheap and grab it. I especially love my Kreigsmarine fork which has a bigger eagle and a big M over it. And Lord only knows how much of that went to the bottom during the war.

I actually had a few more pieces but over time they got traded off for one thing or another. But I still have the bulk of it all. :D

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman