News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Godet EK1s

Recently acquired pair of Godet EK1s. Anyone have any thoughts on the tehory I've seen quoted that the flat "G"s were the official pieces and the vaulted "Godet Berlin" with hooks the private purchase version.

The flat "G" has fantastic patina, almost totally black. The vaulted, hooked piece has a bit more wear and tear but still overjoyed to get it (thanks Mike !!!)

Gordon,

That is a pair of Very fine crosses. The Godets with "Fangs" are my

favorite of the EKs. I am not sure about the theory. Where would

this one fit in? Flat, unmarkerd with hooks.

[attachmentid=53520]

Hi Gordon,

They look good together!

Re the theory, I have heard that flat crosses in general were the award pieces, however I would not be surprised to hear that at least some vaulted examples were also award peices (or it would immediately make almost every Meybauer post-war).

Personally, I'd put the "fangs" (I guess term that does sound better than zweihacken!) straight into the private purchase (or private alteration) category, regardless of whether the cross was flat or vaulted. If they came from the maker, imo they would have been a special order.

I do not think the different Godet cores can be used to differentiate award v's private purchase either.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike K

Re the theory, I have heard that flat crosses in general were the award pieces, however I would not be surprised to hear that at least some vaulted examples were also award peices (or it would immediately make almost every Meybauer post-war).

Convex pieces in any form were private purchase only. This does not mean they were post war, far from it. I have researched some makers DRGM numbers. The DRGM protection given to the Hansen and Meybauer convex screwbacks was approved approximately December 1914. This proves they were made starting fairly early in the war (and of course continuing post war as well). Godet had been making EK1s with double hooks since the 1870s. Apparently you could buy them flat or convex and with or without hooks. This was not an alteration, they were made that way originally.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Hi,

Dan, you are right, I should have written "...post-war or private purchase".

I was not thinking of Godet when I wrote about prong alteration however, I was thinking of a fanged Meybauer in my collection which imo has had the prongs added later. I agree re fanged Godets, every one I have seen I would say was done in the shop.

Regards

Mike