News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1939 EK2 "44"

• 5 months later...
    Guest Martin Burr

Great images of a 44

These crosses do seem to share a couple of characteristics. I have two and in common with your one, they all are maker marked on the reverse of the ribbon ring, (swas to front - maker mark on back ). They also seem to have a much thinner ribbon ring attachment loop (the small ring on the cross) compared to other makers.

I dont know about your cross, but both mine have a slightly loose core that can rattle a little in the frame and the ribbon ring loops are attached slightly off centre. These may not be general traits, as it is hard to be specific when only comparing 2 or 3 examples.

Perhaps any one else with a 44 can check to see if these are charachteristics are specific to this maker ?

Hi Micha,

That's a beautiful example of a 44! Congrats!!

Martin -

Here's my '44', It's a slightly salty example. The jumpring does not immediately strike me as being any narrower than any of my other crosses. It is positioned just a fraction off-centre, but I only noticed that when my attention was drawn to it. The core on this one does not rattle but it has a small bit of rust on the left arm, and maybe this has stopped any movement.

Can I see your examples to get a better idea of the characteristics you refer to?

One unusual feature on mine is that I think the obverse frame was assembled upside down. Note the raised semi-circular mark on the lower arm. It looks like a position marker for soldering of the jump ring. Can you see any trace of a position marker under the solder on either of your examples? I cannot really tell from Micha's pictures if his has one.

Has anyone seen a mark like this on any EKII???

Regards - Danny

Guest Martin Burr

and the rears

neither of mine have a centering mark on the lower of the frame

Edited by Martin Burr