News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Where Is THIS Medal Bar From The Seymour Collection Now?

Guest Rick Research

Sorry all I have is one of George's ever-neatly printed xeroxes with a couple of my additions added as we talked over the phone. I have none of the Thies catalogs (George used to give me his after the auctions were over, back in the day) but no one ever brought up this "impossible" bar, so I wonder if it has NOT been sold yet:

Based on the 99.9999% "track record" so far, I will assume that the two cases and "Karneval Orden" which went with this bar are not now with this Spange...

wherever it now is. (At least I have a xerox OF that "Karneval" piece as well. Sigh.)

Can those of you who have had the Thies catalogs tell me whether it has come up yet?

If not, I will hold back because, unfortunately too late to gladden George's heart, I HAVE had it identified since 30 March 2005 and have been holding it waiting hoping to hear that one of us here ended up with it.

George and I had assumed

it "had" to have been a flyer, with this bizarre, over the top, and waaaaaaaaaay "no way" combination.

It was not.

Impossible as it looks-- "EK sandwich" and all, this IS a very real, and certainly unique bar.

In fact, for all these years, I've had the group of another man (much the junior) in this very teensy tiny unit in MY collection.

Some small world after all, huh?

Dear Rick:

I don't recall this group coming up for auction yet. It may still be awaiting sale, or George may have sold it at an OMSA convention as he sometimes did with groups that he couldn't identify the recipient for. Unfortunately, most of his friends who were faithful convention goers who would remember seeing it have also now passed-on (Neil, Eric, and Tony). I do not attend OMSA every year, but go when convenient. Perhaps Wildcard can remember seeing it (if it was every offered at a convention).

Best regards,

"SPM"

p.s.: Rick, I thank you for all of your efforts to salvage what you can of the invaluble information that undoubtedly mostly would have ended-up in trash cans. Although your toils may go unrewarded (at least financially), there are many of us out here that appreciate it!

Guest Rick Research

OK, so it may still be there for the December sale. Just wanted to be sure people know this "crazy" combination...

in fact IS identifiable, implausible as it looks! :beer:

Hi Rick,

I have checked Andreas? catalogs on George?s collecion and did not spot this group in any of them. So, that would seem to indicate that either it has not come up yet or as SPM suggested, George disposed of it before his death.

I can not say for sure that I remember seeing it at any of the OMSA conventions. Medalnet, are you out there? Do you remember it?

Guest Rick Research

I think ANYBODy who ever saw it ANYWHERE would :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: remember it! :lol:

My dread is some monkey-fingers deciding it is one of the current Frankenstein frauds and disassembling an ORIGINAL bar.

I think ANYBODy who ever saw it ANYWHERE would :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: remember it! :lol:

A good point for sure :( ; the thing is that when seeing that collection, or even a part of it, to my neophyte eyes (and mind) it was simply overwhelming :love::love: . Focus on a couple of things, and all else became a blur, you just couldn?t take it all in. :speechless: I might add that this was true of Eric?s collection as well.

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

Brought back up.

IS this bar (one has long ceased hoping for groups still being together) on the current auction?

If so, the Lucky High Bidder can have it identified here afterwards.

Nobody famous. Nobody important. Nobody even-- despite the amazingly "impossible" accumulation of awards, exciting.

But a REAL bar with a single identifiable original wearer... the exception to almost every rule.

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

The eyes of no Mortal Man hath beheld this??????

And yet I know whose it was originally!!!! :banger:

Where is it NOW ???? :banger:

Guest Rick Research

My identification of the original recipient is now absolutely confirmed, from numerous as yet unpublished sources among the Research Gnomes. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Where oh where oh where has it GONE?

Thanks, brothers! :cheers:

• 5 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

More than five more years have passed and still... no sighting?

I was rummaging around and found where this originally came from--the much-missed Jack Sweetman's final sales catalog of November 1982. As Lot #85 it sold to George for $1,200 with the following items I had forgotten--

EK1, OK1, Black Wound Badge and TH still remained in this group, along with a loose Bronze Medal of the Turkish Red Crescent Society, Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal, Kyffhäuserbund Medal, Prinz Alfons badge, and Stahlhelm 1933 Hanover tinnie. The large enameled Carnival “neck order” was for “Prinz Franz u. Prinzessin Carin v. Vierlakien” made by Poellath. There were also empty cases for the BMV4X, WVKX, and two others I'm not sure for what.

It has just been my sleepless dread for all these years that whoever bought this--without question the single most important Warrant Officer German group for WW1--presumed it was just Frankenstein parts and stripped it for the loose awards.

This is most certainly The Real Frankenstein, the exception to every quick judgement... the very much spectacularly, singularly IDENTIFIED Real Deal.

I'll keep posting every few years... hoping. If I die first, Daniel knows. Until we know who has it NOW, no identification will be posted. That's the immutable rule. We want to SEE color scans, front and back, and know the owner RESPECTS what he/she/i has. IF it still exists...

Edited by Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Good. There are three of us alive who know, if it ever turns up. Though daniel's the youngest, and he has children to pass along the information to etc etc in case it is never seen until the 22nd century.