News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1796 Heavy Cavalry Sabre

Nick

I believe it was hated by the cavalry themselves , who considered it unwieldy and ill- balanced and took a great deal of strength to use it properly.
    I read that they weren't actually pointed as such , but had crudely diagonol finish to the tip.
    Sharpie had his tailored by having a pointed tip and the top six inches sharpened too, whereas the original blades were only sharpened on the underside. wub.gif

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, this pattern of sword was found with three different points.

The first one was 'Hatchet' shaped ,as manufactured, which had a tip more like a Navy cutlass, as this was essentially a Cutting weapon.

The second type was similar to the first, except that the tip was ground down to give it a more pointed effect for thrusting.

The third type was also ground down to a spear point for a more effective thrusting technique.

These modifications were carried out at Regimental level, to give more versatility in battle. The Brtish cavalry taught cutting and slashing as this is a more natural instinct when in the heat of battle. Thrusting was seen to be less effective as it took more energy, and was only really effective at the main parts of the body and head. It was also noted that although a cut/slash would not often kill a man, it would just as effectively remove him from the battlefield.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Atilla Jones

The British 1796 light cavalry was a far superior weapon. Still quite a massive blade, but with a pronounced curve. I've handled quite a few, and they are a well-balanced weapon. The French cuirassier sword was a big beast, I have a nice clean one, think it was preserved in nicotine, probably off a pub wall. What I thought was pitting on the blade, after a good clean, turned out to be the original milling marks ! smile.gif

Guest Atilla Jones

No, the officers of light companies carried a smaller weapon, curved blade, stirrup hilt, often with a blue & gilt blade. They did vary from regiment to regiment & it seems a fair amount of leeway was given, particularly with volunteer regiments. Fetch a good price now.

Guest Atilla Jones

I think we are talking mucho dinero, probably ?500 minimum for an average one, and skys the limit for nice bladed one. Have a look at Garth Vincent's website, he often has that sort of stuff.

• 1 month later...
    • 10 months later...
    Guest chosenman

Anyone got any information on the Sword that Richard Sharpe in Bernard Cornwalls novels uses ?

Sharpe's sword is a 1796 British Heavy Cavalry Sabre. Weapon of choice of many veteran British infantry officers during the peninsular war, its straight blade (as opposed to the curved blade of the light cavalry sabre), additional weight and sharp point gives it a less-decorative-more-useful-for-killing-people quality. It's also worth noting that only officers with a stack of upper body strength could realistically wield this weapon - it weighs a ton!

off topic.gif Most cavalry stayed with the light sabre because a high speed cavalry charge favoured attacking with the edge of the sword rather than the point, and the light weight and slight curve to the blade significantly decrease the risk of the weapon being wrenched from the aggressors hand.

[attachmentid=9734]

Edited by chosenman

• 2 months later...

I have a 1796 Light Cav Saber with a Damascus Blade. The scabbard has silvered iron mounts throat and drag over a black leather scabbard.

Weren't the Prussian light Cav sabers very similar to the Brits, with a simple stirrup hilt in iron. How do you tell the difference?

• 1 year later...

I have a 1796 Light Cav Saber with a Damascus Blade. The scabbard has silvered iron mounts throat and drag over a black leather scabbard.

Weren't the Prussian light Cav sabers very similar to the Brits, with a simple stirrup hilt in iron. How do you tell the difference?

The two ways would be markings: maker's, proof, regimental etc and experience plus reseacrh- they are not in fact identical though I personally couldn't begin to tell you one form the other right here and now. OTH there are enough examples extant of each and good photos and drawings to be able to difference them. There are some good sword forums for this very specialized (and expensive) branch of collecting.

Peter

• 1 month later...

I have a 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword (reproduction), and it matches B.C.'s descriptions pretty well. I also brought the light version, as he made it sound...well, light. In response I would tell him that lifting it is an effective alternative to weight lifting! If you want one without spending over a thousand pounds, go here: http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/swordsbaykn.html, but you might want to shop around as the price has gone up by ?40 since I last looked there. :(