Britian`s fallen since World War Two

Below are the figures for fallen British servicmen/women in campaigns since WW2.

Palastine- 233

S.E Asia

Bomb & Mine clearance 45-49

Bomb & Mine clearance 45-56

Malaya - 519

Cyprus- 105

Near East 54

Arabian Penisular

Brunei

Canal Zone -22

Korea 1950-53 - 1,078.

Borneo -16

Radfan- 24

South Arabia

Malay Penisula

South Vietnam

Northern Ireland -719 (includes military deaths on UK mainland and Germany attributed to Irish terrorism)

Dhofar - 24

Lebanon

Kenya: 12

Gulf of Suez

Gulf

Kuwait

N Iraq & S Turkey

Air Ops Iraq

Rhodesia

South Atlantic -255

Gulf War -47

Former Yugoslavia -48

Sierra Leone

Afganistan- on going

Iraq War- on going

Edited by bigjarofwasps

We lost 47 in the 1990-1991 Gulf War, 9 of those killed by the American's in friendly fire.

Two Gurhka's were the first British soldeirs to be killed in Kosovo, the officer from the UK and the NCO from Nepal - both Gurhka's attached to Royal Engineers EOD. Clearing NATO munitions.

We lost 47 in the 1990-1991 Gulf War, 9 of those killed by the American's in friendly fire.

Two Gurhka's were the first British soldeirs to be killed in Kosovo, the officer from the UK and the NCO from Nepal - both Gurhka's attached to Royal Engineers EOD. Clearing NATO munitions.

Cheers Marcus, have ammended the Gulf loses. :(

Still not quite sure what you are counting. You say "British" but for something like the Southeast Asia , the operations (and the overwhelming majority of casualties) were Indian Army operations (the last under theoretical British command). Do you want Indian Army casualty figures included here (or for others?).

And we are counting killed only? Not died or wounded?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Still not quite sure what you are counting. You say "British" but for something like the Southeast Asia , the operations (and the overwhelming majority of casualties) were Indian Army operations (the last under theoretical British command). Do you want Indian Army casualty figures included here (or for others?).

Anyone under British command, D.O.W, friendly fire, accidents, etc,etc. :(

Southeast Asia 45-46, assuming the list above is based off the GSM clasps, was pre-1947, so it was the British Indian Army. After 1947, they wouldn't be British. Same for others similarly situated, except of course the Gurkha regiments which continued in British Army service.

For the Canadians, New Zealanders and Australians, the 1931 Statute of Westminster is probably the cut-off date. Newfoundland is an exception, since in 1934 it reverted to Crown Colony status, but in World War Two its troops were by agreement between Britain and Canada brought into Canadian service. In 1949 it joined Canada. South Africa also was a party to the Statute of Westminster; I think its status was also the same after 1931, but it might have been more or less autonomous before then. Except for the northern counties, Ireland's connection pretty much ends at 1922, even though Ireland technically stayed in the Commonwealth and was a party to the Statute of Westminster.

The soldiers of 1/The King's African Rifles and 2/The King's African Rifles who served in Malaya during the Emergency would thus count as "British" in this context, as would 1/The Fiji Infantry Regiment, 1/The Northern Rhodesia Regiment, 1/The Rhodesian African Rifles, and all of the Malay Regiment battalions, the Sarawak Rangers, the 1st Singapore Regiment and other units from British colonies. But the Royal Australian Regiment, the New Zealand Regiment and other Aussie and Kiwi units wouldn't.