News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Have been generously informed that it is in all likely hood, Oberkameradschaftsfuhrer, Gebietsleitung 23, Motor-HJ, Mittelebe

(central Elbe). Gebiet = area.

Thanks to, Laurence, Raymond and Paulj. :jumping: Thanks also to all who replied to my questions!

--dj--Joe

Edited by --dj--Joe

• 8 months later...

Hi Joe,

Interesting strap :) When I saw it my first thought was 'what's that rank doing on that type of strap?' According to Angolia the rank of Oberkameradschaftsf?hrer wasn't introduced until 1938 so a conscientious HJ boy who dressed according to the then current regulations shouldn't really have been wearing this rank on those shoulder straps. Then again there would seem to have been a short cross-over where the rank existed for a short time within the period where the khaki straps were still in official use. Perhaps this would explain the rank being on these straps.

HJ-Gebiet 23 (Mittelbe) was formed in late 1934 so certainly that is correct for these straps but... the Oberbanne (shown on the straps by the piping - in this case red for Oberbann 1) were dissolved in mid-1934. I can't find a reference which says that after the dissolution of the Oberbanne that all shoulder straps were to have red piping. Only this would explain why this boy was still wearing these straps as late as 1938 - four years after the Oberbanne ceased to exist.

Motor-HJ is incorrect as only the black post-1938 straps began to show distinctions between the various HJ organisations - Flieger-HJ, Motor-HJ etc.

So, after all that I would say in conclusion that this is a strap for a HJ-Oberkameradschaftsf?hrer on the staff of Gebiet 23 Mittelelbe and dates from sometime between Mid-1934 and 1938.

Hope this helps.

XEN, thank you much. So when red is refered to it really means more of a rose pink? Mine has some age to it but does not appear to be washed out. The last image is the closest to true color.

--dj--Joe

• 3 months later...
    • 6 months later...

I wrote:

"Motor-HJ is incorrect as only the black post-1938 straps began to show distinctions between the various HJ organisations - Flieger-HJ, Motor-HJ etc."

My apologies because that is in fact complete rubbish. The brown straps showed the following distinctions:

Bright red piping - General HJ

Light red - Motor-HJ

Flieger-HJ - blue

Nachrichten-HJ - yellow

Landjahr - green

Members of Gebiet and RJF staff - karmesin

Source: Organisationsbuch der NSDAP 1937