News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Glory 3rd class.

I was just wondering if someone could give me a good idea of what one without the book is worth on the open market.

Checking the two dealers whose websites are at the head of my favorites list, I see prices for single, undocumented, unresearched Glory 3s ranging from $45 to $115. And $45-$50 sounds about right to me.

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhh, but it's allllll in what comes back in the research.

I just don't LIKE the Glories-- aesthetically--- but you always know that SOMETHING "good" will come back on one.

And your Summer 1944 offenssive date one from Kassel will very likely be more "significant" that the tidal wave of War's Over 1945 ones.

Go for research on that **,XXX one. :catjava:

Yes, it is all about the reaserch. But we knew that already, eh?

:beer:

indeed we did!

My question was a trick question.

My theory is.... the order of Glory 3rd class are the most underated medals on the market today.

My first one, with its reaearch was about UsD150, which I was told at the time was way. way, over its market value. Maybe it was, but it was worth it to me.

Lets calculate, order of Glory USD50, basic research USD80.... a USD130 medal (we agree that with the OOG, without the research it is unintereting)...

Imagine if the EK2 was named, and citations were availible (takinginto account there were about 3-4 times more EKs.) IMAGINE what they would cost?

What would a named and attributed Bronze or silver star with citation cost?

No need to speak of brit medals as we know what a GOOD citation does there....

I would say, if the german collectors had an equivelent ( numbered, researchable, citation) the things would be worth (or "would get on the market") somewhere between USD250-1500 a medal, depending on Unit, Citation, place of battle.

My first OOG'er got his medal for killing 15 Germans with his machine gun as German tanks overolled his positions, he hid in a bunker till the germans retreated, then hit 'em again. Worth its USD150 to me....

Imagine that was to a German machine gunner!!! It would be well over USD500 or More!!

I have ordered research on my other two OOG'ers, maybe they did interesting things as well, Would love it if one was a tank gunner with 20 or so "victories"....

My first one, with its reaearch was about UsD150, which I was told at the time was way. way, over its market value. Maybe it was, but it was worth it to me.

Here's some irony for you... Back in the late 90s when Glories were a $15 medal (and yes, they were at one point) research on them would cost $55 per medal. So, a $80 investment. I RARELY ever sold a researched Glory 3rd for less than $175, and often they'd bring $225 and sometimes even more! Basically, every time I researched a Glory I knew I could make a $75-$100 profit.

Fast forward to 2006. Glories cost $40-$50 each. Reserarch still costs $55 each, so a $105 investment. I just sold my last researched Glories for $90 each!!!

Now tell me what the market has done there??? :speechless:

Dave

Ahhhh... but the important question is.... Why does the content of the research not effect the price?

If I am offered a medal with research that says "Was a good brave soldier"... ok, I will give you your USD90... if it says Killed 10 facist invaders with his MG... I will give you USD150... if it says "Killed 3 with the bayonet" lets say USD175... if it says "Killed three with the bayonet while shooting his machine gun and playing with a yoyo as he tap danced on a bucking T34" I will go to USD250...

Absolutely, but for the type collectors the research doesn't matter. (Is that why so many dealers/collectors pitch the research out?)

I am so glad I paid to get my $20 Glory to First Sergeant Alexandra V. Grebenschchikova researched! (See http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2329 for her award.) The research is the history that brings an inert thing to life.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Absolutely, but for the type collectors the research doesn't matter. (Is that why so many dealers/collectors pitch the research out?)

I am so glad I paid to get my $20 Glory to First Sergeant Alexandra V. Grebenschchikova researched! (See http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2329 for her award.) The research is the history that brings an inert thing to life.

That's why I collect...The Research :jumping: As I can afford it I'll select a piece or group to be researched. I love to read the story behind the medal. It's History at it's best!!!

:beer: Doc

Ahhhh... but the important question is.... Why does the content of the research not effect the price?

Because honestly a lot of collectors don't care about the research. The only time that research will increase the price of a Glory is if it's one to a sniper, or to an aviator, or has a very unusual citation that has a avid group of collectors, such as for feats in Finland, or partisans, etc.

Of the ones I sold for $90 each, here is a snapshot of the citations:

Glory 3rd to Corporal XXX, XXXth Rifle Regiment. During the battles for the village of XXX on 13 July 1944, he neutralized three enemy machine gun positions and killed 12 Germans, allowing the infantry to advance.

Glory 3rd to Sergeant XXX, XXXth Rifle Regiment. On 17 September 1944, he crossed the XXX River and was the first to burst into the enemy trenches on the other side, capturing four German soldiers, and allowing the regiment to accomplish its mission.

Glory 3rd to Lance Corporal XXX, XXXth Rifle Regiment. On 6 April 1942, he was heavily wounded during the offensive near XXX, and lost his leg.

Glory 3rd to Private XXX XXXth Rifle Regiment. In July 1944 in XXX, he killed up to 20 Germans with his mortar and thus repulsed the enemy counterattacks.

Glory 3rd to Senior Sergeant XXX, XXXth Independent Tank Destroyer Division. On 6 September 1944, he was the first to burst into the town of XXX and engaged in street fighting. He captured two enemy soldiers, and killed a group of enemy machine gunners in a house. Even though he was wounded, he was not evacuated until the mission was complete.

Glory 3rd to Guards Sergeant XXX (who had been wounded five times during the War), XXXth Motor Rifle Brigade. On 29 January 1945, he fired his weapon at point-blank range and killed eight Germans who wanted to take his artillery piece. He prevented them from doing so.

None of them were to "good soldiers" but yet none of them were to yo-yo swinging T-34 gunners. :beer:

Dave

Edited by NavyFCO

If I am offered a medal with research that says "Was a good brave soldier"... ok, I will give you your USD90... if it says Killed 10 facist invaders with his MG... I will give you USD150... if it says "Killed 3 with the bayonet" lets say USD175... if it says "Killed three with the bayonet while shooting his machine gun and playing with a yoyo as he tap danced on a bucking T34" I will go to USD250...

And for the Glory given to Il-2 attack plane gunner who personally shot down two German fighters you probably give USD 300, right?

So many people pay not for the medal itself, but for the nice story behind it.