News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Betting on Research

Bob

As the possibility to get awards researched and learn about who / what / when / etc., the question starts to arise... similar to Soviet awards... if you had to "blindly" acquire an award with the intention of getting research done, what do you suppose would be the reward with highest chance of "an interesting story" (i.e. not long service awards) in relation to it's price of course?

Interesting question, Bob. (And I'm very glad to see someone else posting in this sub-forum! :beer: )

Not sure what we'll be seeing. It may well be no more that a number-by-number key to number/date/name. It may be as much as we are used to getting for Soviet awards (recommendations, service records, and all). I'd wager on the former. But at least that is something. And it will likely cover all State awards that are numbered (down through motherhood orders and combat and labor medals).

While I'd not have much hope for recommendations anytime soon, if these were to be available, I'd expect good tales (ignoring early stuff) to be told by:

Red Banner of Military Valor (Type 1.1 / A 23.1) <1000

Honorary Medal of Combat (Type 1.1 / A 37.1) <1000 (or <500)

At the very least, we may be able to see changing patterns of awards over time and address such questions of interest as "At which numbers did regular awards end and while ranges are likely mere bank escapees?" or "Which serial number ranges of what are most likely to be long service awards?". Also, our low-numbered awards were likey to have been given so "someones" and we may be able to find out who.

How about an Order of Combat Valor or a Deputy of the Lower Assembly's badge?

:beer: Doc

Not presently clear to what degree the deputy, herders', etc. numbered badges will be researchable.

OCVs should be researchable, but whether they have much of a story to tell (being so late) remains to be seen. Still, a name and date would be nice for anything.

I would agree with Ed, the lower the numbers, the better bet for real research. It will be exciting, but then where do we get the records translated!!!?????

Most likely from the researcher who may also be gearing up to offer Paul-style authentification certificates.