News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Research Order of the Red Banner s/n 261483

Gentlemen,

I got my research-package today. The research to this Order of the Red Banner s/n 261.483 consist of the award card, citation and the service record (with a nice picture!). I have split the bigger documents in half to make it better readable.

Here is what i understood so far:

Name Viktor Ivanovich Makarov

Awards:

Order of the Red Banner Nr. 8083 16.01.42

Order of the Red Star Nr. 184.909 18.02.43

Order of the GPW 2nd class Nr. 364.052 06.10.44

Military Merit Medal Nr. 1.561.420 03.11.44

Order of the GPW 1st class Nr. 180.704 07.03.45

Order of the Red Banner Nr. 261.483 28.05.45

Order of the Red Star Nr. 2.148.482 06.11.45

Order of the Red Banner 3rd award Nr. 6.555 17.05.51

Medal for Victory over Germany

Medal for Capture of Berlin

Obviously a brave guy and i am very curious about the citation of course. Any help is much appreciated.

Award Card Obverse:

Very nice!

My first thought as soon as I saw the back of his award card: A commissar!

And then looking at the front and then the citations - he was the regimental commissar. It should be an interesting citation once the translation is done!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Career military commissar Viktor Ivanovich Makarov was born in the city of Vladimir in 1908. He joined the CPSU and Red Army in 1930. Politruk 17.2.39, Senior Politruk 20.2.39, something in the middle I don't get instantly, Lt Col 3.4.43, Colonel 2.11.50. Retired 7.10.54 (that last number squiggle might be a 6 not a 4)

The SHORT version of the citation for his Red Banner in scan 4 above is the considerable list of equipment and troops destroyed by his regiment between 3 February and 14 April 1945 in operations over the River Oder:

beating back counter-attacks, destroying more than 20 artillery batteries, 7 mortar batteries, 13 artullery pieces, 39 machine guns, and over 500 troops-- etc etc etc.

He "got his" for having been the regimental commissar during all this, with 40th Guards Corps Artillery Regiment, 4th Guards Rifles Corps.

When the ARC was filled out 11 January 1946, he was Brigade Commissar of 394th Artillery Brigade, 88th Guards Artillery Division.

So, he was the deputy regimental commander in a HARD fighting and highly successful unit apparently used specifically for counter-battery fire.

C'mon, it must say "Hitlerites"... not "troops"!!

Impressive research Gerd, nice full story. Now you get to search endlessly for the other pieces! I wonder how many will ever arrive on the market, they must be out there somewhere!!

Thanks again everyone. :beer: Rick, if it would come to his Red Banner 3rd award, my financial abilities to reunite this group were too limited. The other pieces though...

best,

Gerd