News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What are the ribbons that they are wearing?

The Austrian officer is wearing:

1st row:

1. Medaille f?r Verdienste um die Republik ?sterreich am roten Bande (gold or silver)

2. Bundesheer Wehrdienstzeichen 2. Klasse

3. Bundesheer Wehrdienstzeichen 3. Klasse

2nd row:

1. Wehrdienstmedaille in Bronze

2. ? (I believe an older, no longer in use Austrian decoration)

3. ?

3rd row:

1. UNFICYP Medal

2. UNDOF Medal

3. UNTAC Medal

The badge on his pocket is, I believe, a Jahrgangsabzeichen from the Theresianische Milit?rakadamie. By the way, he is Oberstleutnant Adolf Br?ckler, a Pionier officer.

The German general has the Bundesverdienstkreuz, the Ehrenkreuz der Bundeswehr in Gold, a sports badge and a faded order ribbon in the grade of commander. If faded blue, a French National Order of Merit. If faded purple, a Belgian Order of Leopold I. I suppose there are other possibilities, though.

Edited by Dave Danner

The Austrian officer is wearing:

3rd row:

1. UNFICYP Medal

2. UNDOF Medal

3. UNTAC Medal

The badge on his pocket is, I believe, a Jahrgangsabzeichen from the Theresianische Milit?rakadamie. By the way, he is Oberstleutnant Adolf Br?ckler, a Pionier officer.

Hallo Dave, :beer:

all the UN medals have tiny silver numbers indicating more than one trip in the various UN missions,

I believe 2, 2, 2.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks to the gods of internet...

They brought us the wonderfull news;

Gerhard Back had been awarded the officers grade of the national order of merit (France)

Love the internet, which brought us together, will also bring us information :jumping:

Kind regards,

Jacky

Thanks all, here's one more. I made the names unreadable. I do not now how strikt the embassy is about pictures from there personel.

What are the unit citations and what is the man on the right wearing between the Overseas Service Ribbon and the NATO Medal?

IPB Image

Edited by Herr General

The unit citations are the Joint Meritorious Unit Award (JMUA) with oak leaf cluster and the Army Superior Unit Award. The wings, by the way, are from Ecuador. The LTC has the same unit awards, minus the oak leaf cluster on the JMUA.

As for the ribbon after the Overseas Service Ribbon, that SGM needs to offer his LTC a spot correction. That Kosovo Campaign Medal should come after the National Defense Service Medal and ahead of the Armed Forces Service Medal. It is a campaign medal, and outranks those non-campaign service medals - Armed Forces Service Medal (probably for IFOR/SFOR in Bosnia-Herzegovina), the Humanitarian Service Medal, the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, the Army Service Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon.

• 2 weeks later...

The bloke in the middle - who's he? Looks like he's wearing a Light Infantry tie - medals include WWII France & Germany Star, a General Service Medal with a couple of campaign bars, a Korean War pair, a post 1962 Campaign Service Medal & a UNFICYP.

The photos taken in Holland? Is he connected with Arnhem? Or a bit further afield, Pegasus Bridge?

I feel I should know this man from the history books?

Edited by leigh kitchen

The bloke in the middle - who's he? Looks like he's wearing a Light Infantry tie - medals include WWII France & Germany Star, a General Service Medal with a couple of campaign bars, a Korean War pair, a post 1962 Campaign Service Medal & a UNFICYP.

The photos taken in Holland? Is he connected with Arnhem? Or a bit further afield, Pegasus Bridge?

I feel I should know this man from the history books?

His medalbar is discused here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11116&hl=medalbar

Edited by Herr General

• 2 months later...

the reason he does not have the 39 45 star is he did not serve in operations outside Britian he also does not have the overseas bar on the war medal which confirms this. Beautiful long sevice group with the korea pair also in there.

PAUL

the reason he does not have the 39 45 star is he did not serve in operations outside Britian he also does not have the overseas bar on the war medal which confirms this. Beautiful long sevice group with the korea pair also in there.

PAUL

He has served in operations outside Britain, he has the France & Germany Star.

There isn't an overseas bar or clasp to the British War Medal.

He apparently eneterd the European theater of operations too late to qualify for the 1939-45 Star. These groups missing the 1939-45 Star are oddities and there is usually an interesting story. (Or there is some very sloppy mounting involved!)

Other than the MiD leaf, there are no clasps or other devices to the War Medal.

See also: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11116

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Am I right in saying that the "land" award requirements for the 39-45 Star & France & Germany Star "combination" were were ultimately 2 months (having been ammended from 6 months) operational service for the 39-45 Star & 1 day (i.e. entry into) in operational area for the France & Germany Star, with certain service such as some commando raids etc earning enhanced service for the 39-45 & service curtailed by wounds or death qualifying?

I'm working from memory & it's always dangerous to precis, but I have'nt got any reference to hand.