News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New United States National WWI Museum Opens

Just a note to tell all that America's newly named national WWI museum opened yesterday to much fanfare. The museum, former called the Liberty Memorial Museum, was constructed just after the war with money raised by the citizens of Kansas City, Missouri. The 1926 dedication was attended by President Calvin Coolage, Black Jack Pershing, Marshall Foch, Admiral Beatty, General Diaz (Italy) and the commanding general of the Belgian army. Over 100,000 people attended.

It is the largest memorial to WWI in the country and for many years had a medium size museum in the old open display style. The new museum, twelve years in the making, is state of the art, designed by Ralph Applebaum Associates, the same company that designed the Holocaust Museum.

I am attaching some pictures of the memorial and the museum. You must all come and see it some day. It is fantastic and only fifteen minutes from my home.

Chip

Dave,

The color guard is wearing a mixture of period and reproduction uniforms. One of the more unique uniforms on display is one from the imperial Japanese army, our ally in that war.

• 2 years later...

So.... anyone else been in the meantime?

"American mortar"... I did not know the US had such pieces in WW1?

Best

Chris

Thank you for sharing these images. It looks like a great museum to visit.

The US has been using mortars since our Revolutionary War (1775?1783)

Since I started this thread, the museum has added many new things, including a battle-used and damaged, French Renault tank and a fabulous collection of German Pickelhauben and uniforms.