News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinion on 1813 iron cross please

Recently purchased this cross which was described as

For sale here is a German (Prussian) Iron Cross with iron core and made in the correct three part construction.

side features the oak leaves and monogram of Friedrich Wilhelm (FW) and the date 1813. The other side is plain blackened iron.

The ring is stamped IW which I assume to be the Berlin maker ?Wagner?.

The dimensions are as follows:

Width across arms : 42.2 mm

Weight excluding ribbon : 12.0 grammes

General condition : the German silver frame is tarnished with age. There is some rusting to the core. There are several dents and knocks. Generally well worn condition.

The ribbon is a good length of 9cm when folded and appears to be old and original in feel etc.

I can not say if this is an actual 1813 piece or if it was made later as an anniversary piece. Certainly an old item.

thought i had better double cheque whils i have a return period if unhappy

thanks !!

Recently purchased this cross which was described as

For sale here is a German (Prussian) Iron Cross with iron core and made in the correct three part construction.

side features the oak leaves and monogram of Friedrich Wilhelm (FW) and the date 1813. The other side is plain blackened iron.

The ring is stamped IW which I assume to be the Berlin maker ?Wagner?.

The dimensions are as follows:

Width across arms : 42.2 mm

Weight excluding ribbon : 12.0 grammes

General condition : the German silver frame is tarnished with age. There is some rusting to the core. There are several dents and knocks. Generally well worn condition.

The ribbon is a good length of 9cm when folded and appears to be old and original in feel etc.

I can not say if this is an actual 1813 piece or if it was made later as an anniversary piece. Certainly an old item.

thought i had better double cheque whils i have a return period if unhappy

thanks !!

Be unhappy. The loose fit, plus the 2 semilunes on the lower arm Look like a 1914 with a "machinist's special" rework and the ribbon is for an 1870 or 1914. The dimensions of the 1813 stripes were different. http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f36/wild...0War/ZZ1813.jpg

Edited by Tom Y