News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Did anyone attend the Thies Auction in person?

Hi Paul,

I attended personally... this time prices went up like crazy; some tough competition, maybe also from very wealthy new Russian rich collectors.

From what I remember (I didn't ruin my catalogue writing down all the prices... after all in a couple of days you can view the result on Thies webpage) here are more or less the prices:

Item no. 36: went for much more than Eur 2'000.- (I believe Eur 2'400.-)

Item no. 38: went for Eur 2'600.- (I'm 100% sure since I followed this bar very closely)

Item no. 381: can't honestly remember...

Ciao,

Claudio

I would like to know high bid on the following item numbers 36, 38, 381. Thanks

Item no. 36: went for much more than Eur 2'000.- (I believe Eur 2'400.-)

Item no. 38: went for Eur 2'600.- (I'm 100% sure since I followed this bar very closely)

Item no. 381: can't honestly remember...

Hi, Claudio

Then it's 20% on top of those prices, right? Is there further VAT for European buyers?

Lastly, are there many floor bidders (say, more than 50?) at his auctions, generally, and is action strong on the phone or mainly from write-ins?

Rgds

Edited by Luftmensch

Lastly, are there many floor bidders (say, more than 50?) at his auctions, generally, and is action strong on the phone or mainly from write-ins?

Rgds

Hi Luftmensch,

As I recall, there were about sixty bidders in the room on the first day - pretty full. Mail bids were strong while telephone bid action was about average for one of these auctions. Telephone bidding through bidders in the room was rather active and, frankly, quite annoying at times. :angry:

When you are not 100% fluent in German, it is a bit difficult to follow the bids and where they are coming from when you have a couple of conversations, in Russian, going on behind you. Inconsiderate bad form! :violent:

Wild Card

it is a bit difficult to follow the bids and where they are coming from when you have a couple of conversations, in Russian, going on behind you. Inconsiderate bad form! :violent:

Wild Card

Isn't that funny...the last few auctions I went to in New York a gaggle of Russians in the back kept getting warned for noise and drawing shhhhhs from bidders. Thanks for the info.

Rgds