News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Today's News

MSgt_mode

Got this in today's news:

On Wednesday, December 20, 2006 the President signed into law:

S. 1998, the "Stolen Valor Act of 2005," which expands criminal penalties for fraud relating to military decorations and medals;

Make it real tough on US collectors.

Ron :banger:

everyone ready to start filling out the forms and paying the taxes to have a "collectors licence" or "next of kin licence" or the "hisotrian licence". How about those background checks you will have to do on peope who will want to buy your DSC at the gun show or the militaria show? Of course none of this has been spoken baout in the legislation - but from the apparent wording and the promises of some senators this new law will not affect the collecotrs or the historians. So how are you going to "regulate" between a collector and a vile 'stealer of valor' on Ebay, at the gun show?, etc....Oh yea - more legislation.....

Here is what I think of your Stolen Valor Act - its in the glove box of the Chevy Malibu!

Guest Darrell

So ... bottom line .... stay away from buying US medals to import to Canada?

Customs to get a little "iffy"? Whats the scoop guys? I've been hearing some pretty scarey theories of what's gona shake down.

• 2 weeks later...

There was another pretty thread on this but I cannot seem to get my head to work well this morning!

Moderator Note: Comments and photo removed. Political statements are not allowed on this forum

Stogie,

My apologies if my comments or wit displeased you.

However, in spite of your selective moderating, I still firmly believe that the act will eventually be signed by the top person in the USA whose service record has more than the odd shadow. amongst other things. Mine is not a personal attack on the US government or the US president. By God I have better things to do and I also personally believe in what Churchill once said about every country getting the government that it deserved.

But as an impartial observer, I really think that a) the Stolen Valour Act is a real pain in the behind..... not for me but in general as I am untouched by this act - I have my own bone to pick with the Russian Authorities but I sympathise with you guys on principle - and b) it seems so evident to me that this is a case of people in glass houses throwing stones .... not because they are selling or trading US medals or insignia but because valour is so much more stolen in cases where "people" parade in combat uniforms or have perhaps even worn medals they have not been entitled to. I believe that you do not just wear a combat uniform or dish out salutes - you earn the right to wear it and salute!!! Valour is stolen so much more evidently in so many more ways and it is done in an in your face manner and collecting US medals and insignia is the least of this problem.

However, what can I say - Feel free to yet again selectively moderate my post if it displeases you in any way and to repress my views on the act and the powers that be who are ultimately responsible for signing it. But if you do for one instant believe that my point or agenda is political then you are completely missing the point.

But notwithstanding any differences in our argument, you have my best and warmest regards for the New Year in any case!!!!

Jim

PS - I also know the circus when I see it!!

Stogie,

My apologies if my comments or wit displeased you.

However, in spite of your selective moderating, I still firmly believe that the act will eventually be signed by the top person in the USA whose service record has more than the odd shadow. amongst other things. Mine is not a personal attack on the US government or the US president. By God I have better things to do and I also personally believe in what Churchill once said about every country getting the government that it deserved.

However, what can I say - Feel free to yet again selectively moderate my post if it displeases you in any way and to repress my views on the act and the powers that be who are ultimately responsible for signing it. But if you do for one instant believe that my point or agenda is political then you are completely missing the point.

But notwithstanding any differences in our argument, you have my best and warmest regards for the New Year in any case!!!!

Jim

PS - I also know the circus when I see it!!

:cheeky:

The highlighting and the stresses are not mine so please do not take me out of context.

If I have expressed critisism of the moderator in this instance it is because I feel that my original post was partially taken out of context for which I have nevertheless apologised in any case albeit my critisism.

In any case I find it hard to keep the legislation and the government that passes it seperate and distinct from each other and as a result my comments may be taken as critisism of both.

Rest assured however that as I appear to be causing political offense to some parties I will refrain from further participating in this thread! Causing offence remains the least of my intentions and no matter whether I critisise either the legislation or the powers that be, it appears that the Stolen Valor Act will probably be here to stay.....and that is the sad bitter bottom line.... what a pity indeed! :(

Jim

Edited by jimzammit