News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on the Prussian Black Eagle Order

This photo is dated on 1923, during the Beer Hall Putsch trial. It's not a pre-date of the Grand Cross award.

I thought so but it's odd that he denies himself wearing the higher grade of the Red Eagle and the neck badge which was very striking and a popular medal to wear, although perhaps not with the other 'heavy' (superior) neck orders he is wearing in the photo.

I thought so but it's odd that he denies himself wearing the higher grade of the Red Eagle and the neck badge which was very striking and a popular medal to wear, although perhaps not with the other 'heavy' (superior) neck orders he is wearing in the photo.

Maybe on this big photo you can see if he is wearing the First Class of Grand Cross breast star.

ludendorff001sj0.jpg

In any case, it seems that if an award of first class consisted of two parts (decoration on neck and chest), it used to take only one of the two parts. For example, Ludendorff usually wears the Star of Commander of the Order of Hohenzollern House in the chest, but I've never seen him with the Commander Cross around his neck. Surely he chose to wear the Star of the Grand Cross of the Red Eagle Order, but not the Grand Cross around his neck.

"Maybe on this big photo you can see if he is wearing the First Class of Grand Cross breast star.

In any case, it seems that if an award of first class consisted of two parts (decoration on neck and chest), it used to take only one of the two parts. For example, Ludendorff usually wears the Star of Commander of the Order of Hohenzollern House in the chest, but I've never seen him with the Commander Cross around his neck. Surely he chose to wear the Star of the Grand Cross of the Red Eagle Order, but not the Grand Cross around his neck."

____________________________________________________________________________________

My response:

Someone with better references will have to clarify that there is a First Class of the Grand Cross. I thought most Prussian orders, the Grand Cross was a superior grade to a First Class and not itself divided into classes. In ohter words, there may be variations such as with swords or oakleaves but a Grand Cross is sui generis and not divided into further classes. Anyone have the statues on this?

In any event, the photo seems to show Ludendorff wearing the first class star with swords, not the higher grade that he was gazetted. This is not a common practice, is it?

Edited by filfoster

I thinkthat he's really wearing the star if the Grand Cross, but without the neck cross (collar). The Grand Cross set was formed by collar, sash and star. You could wear the collar and the star, or the star and the sash, but It is proved that in many cases only the star is wearing. There are potos of Ludendorff with the star and the sash that prove that he received the Grand Cross.

LUDENDORFF-NuRNBERG-1923.jpg