News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Quick Order of Red Banner question

Hi,

Travelling in Georgia (the Soviet, not the US version) and have opportunity to buys some interesting items... however, don't have all sources easily at hand:(

Quick question... Order of Red Banner nr 151387... would it make sense that this is originally a screwback converted to a pinback? Any specific things to look out for?

Thanks... seeing seller this saterday so appreciate any help. He might have some more items incl. Lenin, Labour Hero star, etc for sale... will have the unenviable task of deciding to take risk and purchase without being able to review books etc. first or to walk away.... arghhh

Thanks,

Bob

Be very VERY VERY careful with stuff coming out of Georgia (both of them).

I can safely guess about the Soviet Georgia, but please share with us what is scary about things coming from US Georgia?

:off topic: but :cheeky:

Quick question... Order of Red Banner nr 151387... would it make sense that this is originally a screwback converted to a pinback? Any specific things to look out for?

That's probably a long service (Ukaz 3 November 1944) Red Banner that was about 50,000 serial numbers AFTER they started making them as hanging ones.

There are LOTS of really good fakes coming out of Georgia (both cloth and metal) so unless you're getting a really good deal on it (which in that case I'd question it anyway, as the prices in Russia and the FSU are often higher than in the West) or it's just something you HAVE to have, I think you might have better luck buying when you get back to Europe/US.

Dave

That's probably a long service (Ukaz 3 November 1944) Red Banner that was about 50,000 serial numbers AFTER they started making them as hanging ones.

There are LOTS of really good fakes coming out of Georgia (both cloth and metal) so unless you're getting a really good deal on it (which in that case I'd question it anyway, as the prices in Russia and the FSU are often higher than in the West) or it's just something you HAVE to have, I think you might have better luck buying when you get back to Europe/US.

Dave

Thanks for your help. 150 USD offer doesn't seem like the right price to take such risk. We'll see what else this person will bring with him next time I see him.

Thanks for your help. 150 USD offer doesn't seem like the right price to take such risk. We'll see what else this person will bring with him next time I see him.

I think you can get a better deal in the West. I just sold one last week that was a 154XXX serial number for $130.

Dave