News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Red Banner s/n 109635 to Lieutenant Sal'nikov

By way of introducing myself to this Forum, here's some research on the order of Red Banner, s/n 109635, awarded to Guards Lieutenant Salnikov Yakov Nikitovich, tank platoon commander of the 18th Guards Tank Brigade of the 5th Guards Tank Army. Military terminology is not my strength so it will take me some time to prepare a proper translation (and reconcile some inconsistencies in the docs) but the essence is as follows:

Salnikov. Y.N., born in 1915 in Voronezh region, participated in the Finnish Campaign and the GPW, wounded 4 times (in other records - a light wound in 1941), candidate member of the Communist Party from 1944. During the GPW, was at the Western Front from 23.6.1941 to 17.11.1941, at the 2nd Ukrainan Front 16.10.43- 23.2.44 and at the 3rd Bielorussian Front from 26.6.1944. The Red Banner was his only award for the fighting at (here's the file has a fold and it's hard to guess), and also at the Berezina river crossing and the capture of the town of Volozhano. The details of his heroic action are so nice that I do not dare posting them until properly translated. The award was given on 20.8.1944. Lieutenant Salnikov was killed in action on 28 March 1945.

Thanks to D. for the instructions on how to research an award and to G. for supplying the research.

Sergei.

Alexei sells for USD 1,50 genuine replacement-ribbons http://home.netcom.com/~merezhko/medalaccessories.html ;) .

Such a special award of a KIA-hero should have the correct ribbon ...

Christian it maybe just me, but I would prefer to have a wrong used ribbon one a medal than to put a "new" post Soviet era ribbon just to comply with the original color it should have. I hate to have new ribbons on my medals. It shows no wear and no history for me. That's why I have never changed ribbons to my medals even if they should have an other one. Like this Sevastopol medal with an Odessa ribbon. I don,t know if it was done by the vet or by a previous collector, but I prefer to keep it like this.

Christian it maybe just me, but I would prefer to have a wrong used ribbon one a medal than to put a "new" post Soviet era ribbon just to comply with the original color it should have. I hate to have new ribbons on my medals. It shows no wear and no history for me. That's why I have never changed ribbons to my medals even if they should have an other one. Like this Sevastopol medal with an Odessa ribbon. I don,t know if it was done by the vet or by a previous collector, but I prefer to keep it like this.

Dear Soviet,

but it is against the regulations :( !!!!!

The ribbons have to be correct.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

but it is against the regulations :( !!!!!

Who said the Soviets were always following the regulations. They were not like Germans or Austrians. :rolleyes::lol:

I have some groups of order that do not follow the regulations, but I will not going to post anything else here, I do not want to highjack once again Sergei's post.

Sergei, let us know what the citation says once completley translated. :)

I would definately change the ribbon. Lieutenant Salnikov also wore his order with the correct ribbon and I think the awards in our collections should reflect te original situation as much as possible. After all, this Lenin ribbon was also added post-war after Salnikovs death. :beer:

Who said the Soviets were always following the regulations. They were not like Germans or Austrians. :rolleyes::lol:

I have some groups of order that do not follow the regulations, but I will not going to post anything else here, I do not want to highjack once again Sergei's post.

Sergei, let us know what the citation says once completley translated. :)

Dear Soviet,

for sure: Our comrade got his RB with the CORRECT ribbon :jumping: .

The "Lenin-Ribbon" might have been an "attachment" of one of the dealers in the Baltics ;) .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

P.S.: We Austrians are not so "super-correct" ;) , as the Germans might appear.

It is so nice to be wellcomed in the community! I would like to thank OoV for his kind offer to accentuate /improve the award and other members of the Forum for their contributions. I have to say that I find the positive response slightly overwhelming (and at the same time very encouraging!). Sergei.