News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here's a look at some of the named ship ribbons (no shore establishments ) for the Kriegsmarine's warships. Starting with the older vessels ( and ignoring Bismark/Tirptz which never had ribbons).

The venerable old Schleswig-Holstein. Might not look much, but she fired the opening shots of World War Two with the attack on the Polish fortress of Westerplatte.

Her classification used the old term "Ship of the Line", or Linienschiff.

Next, the "Pocket Battleships", more correctly termed "Armoured Ships" or Panzerschiffe. They were subsequently reclassified as Heavy Cruisers (Schwere Kreuzer)

First the Deutschland, instantly recognisable by her unique superstructure. Later renamed "Lutzow" for fear of the propaganda value to the allies if a ship bearing the name of the nation was sunk.

The Battleships or "Schlachtschiffe". Strictly speaking by UK/US standards these would be classed as Battlecruisers, lacking the heavy hitting power of the 15" or larger guns carried by most true Battleships.

Scharnhorst, as built, with straight stem, no funnel cap and aircraft catapult on aft turret.

And one of her after her refit with the "Atlantic" clipper bow and removal of the aircraft catapult from the aft turret. Still with no funnel cap.

As built Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were virtual clones. Easy way to tell them apart in later photos is that Scharnhorst's mainmast was moved from abaft the funnel to the after superstructure, whilst Gneisenau's remained on the funnel.

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice photos... and some scarce tallies...

Are all of them in your collection?

The photos came from a Kriegsmarine sailors album but were the type available commercially at the time. I've seen several of the same type in different albums. They are all around 10 inches long and about 4 inches wide a standard format for these.

I had the ribbons for virtually all the named ships, but they've all gone apart from a small handful. Now I only go for the U-Boat ones.

I stopped this half way through as I had to try and hunt down the photos of my Blucher and Prinz Eugen ribbons which I still haven't found.

I'll just put the ships photos in for now and add the ribbons for these two later, then I can get on and add the light cruisers.