News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A question has been posed by some members regarding medal bars. Various reverse configurations have been seen. Some with the ribbons attached to the mount or an obverse hook and the medals are sewn to the ribbon or hook. Some of these have exposed metal and others are finished off with a fabric backing. The variation in question ( photo below ) has the medals suspended from metal hooks to allow the attachment. "]The Question: Is the medal bar with exposed metal hooks for suspending the medals considered a correct method being both authentic and acceptable, or are they considered non - authentic or "put togetehers." Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Hooks of either round or flat stock in brass are perfectly kosher, but yours looks homemade from aluminum.

While homemades aren't that uncommon, the combination of the extremely well finished backing and the post-1913 W?rttemberg and pre-1913 Prussian DA's gives me pause for thought.

Guest Rick Research

What metal IS this constructed from? Is it a white non-tarnishing brass-ish alloy (not sure exactly what it was), or nickled tin (magnet will stick) or ... aluminum.

I've seen various "popsicle stick" type hangers, intended to keep the medals from swinging about, but the crudely hand snipped catch does give me some pause.

Have you blacklighted the Red Eagle ribbon?

Odd dual-state long services do show up, but the PRE-1913 ribboned Prussian with the M1913 W?rttemberg does seem odd as a "both models" pair.

Of course, being hook back and not permanently attached, it is never guarnteed that what is hanging on a hook back bar is what was there originally. That could have been a General Decoration Medal rather than a Red Eagle-- the style would be more approproate for enlisted than officers

though even there "not always."

What the metal actually is and whether the Red Eagle ribbon's white glows bright electric blue would be the answer.

What metal IS this constructed from? Is it a white non-tarnishing brass-ish alloy (not sure exactly what it was), or nickled tin (magnet will stick) or ... aluminum.

I've seen various "popsicle stick" type hangers, intended to keep the medals from swinging about, but the crudely hand snipped catch does give me some pause.

Have you blacklighted the Red Eagle ribbon?

Odd dual-state long services do show up, but the PRE-1913 ribboned Prussian with the M1913 W?rttemberg does seem odd as a "both models" pair.

Of course, being hook back and not permanently attached, it is never guarnteed that what is hanging on a hook back bar is what was there originally. That could have been a General Decoration Medal rather than a Red Eagle-- the style would be more appropriate for enlisted than officers

though even there "not always."

What the metal actually is and whether the Red Eagle ribbon's white glows bright electric blue would be the answer.

RicK,

The metal is non magnetic, non plated, my guess would be aluminum. The ribbon has been black lighted and does not glow. Every ones comments so far have questioned the Dual State Long Services Awards, and I also do not have an answer. The Red Eagle is authentic, which is good for me. If I could find a correct ribbon I can add it to my collection of single awards. As far as the Medal Bar stands it is no longer for sale, but I would still like to continue to discuss the question of the metal hooks vs. authenticity. All good points so far. Thank You. :unsure: