News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bordjacke, U-331 and HMS Barham

Hello gents, I was very fortunate last week to be able to aquire the bordjacke belonging to Herbert Kuhn who I believe was the 1st officer on U-331 at the time of the sinking of HMS Barham on 25th November 1941,some of you might recognise it as it used to reside in Michels collection.Apart from the fact that I was delighted to pick up a bordjacke at all,the fact that it belonged to an officer from this particular U-boat had a lot of significance for me as my father was on the Barham when she was torpedoed by U-331.As well as pictures of the Bordjacke I thought you might like to see some mementos kept by my family regarding this incident.I hope its appropriate to post them in this KM forum,if not perhaps a moderator could remove them,many thanks,

Paul

Cheers Gordon, I was very pleased with the jacket and when the seller said it was from Michels collection I snapped it up.Thanks Paul,theres no way of knowing if Kuhn had this jacket at the time of the Barham sinking but its stamped 1941 so it could well be,strange feeling owning it though,all the best,

Paul

Hello All,

I have not many time with my work at this moment to be on the forum regulary.

To explain, I sold this U-Bordjacke to a Spanish collector who badgered me to sell him some items of my collection. To dissuade him, I announced a very high price. As he accepted this price, I had to respect my words and to sold this attributed U-Bordjacke to him.

I cannot understand this guy, who lost a lot of money in some months.

Great for you Paul, because if I saw it before you at this price...

It is the misunderstanding and crazy world of the collection.

I will post some pictures of the Kühn's items later.

Best regards,

Michel

<!--quoteo(post=143424:date=Jan 27 2007, 11:07 :name=KM-SPAIN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KM-SPAIN @ Jan 27 2007, 11:07 ) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello Michel, do you have any picture of K?hn usung this tunic?, can you show us?.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hello Eduardo,

Sadly no, the same for his named blue tunic and white cap, maybe one day.

I had, in my collection, a little group for an officer of U-331, I found some pictures where I can see Kühn, so it is possible to find other pictures one day showing Kühn using his U-Bordjacke.

The collection is built with time, informations, attention and perseverance.

Regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel,for explaining how the jacket came to be sold.I was very surprised to see it for sale,but delighted of course!.One thing that intrigues me,you have shown Kuhns decorations in a previous thread,are these all of his decorations?I only ask because I am surprised he that such an experienced U-boat officer did not also hold the front spange at least in bronze.thanks again,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I am the "crazy guy" who was the second owner of Khun bordjacke.

After several weeks of dealing Michel was very kind and said yes to sell me that tunic at the agrred price. It was a very nice one and full of story but I had to sell it for get the cap of a Uboat RK winner.

I really didnt sell to the dealer the tunic at that price as was a complete group that I sold for get the cash I need for my RK winner cap, but the dealer wanted to put the tunic at that price.

Again thanks to Michel for let me get so wonderfull tunic from his excellent collection.