News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This fin is from Major Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer's ME 110 nightfighter. He was one of Germany's most successful night fighter pilots. He flew 164 combat missions and destroyed 121 Allied aircraft.

Most of the aircraft that Schnaufer were RAF Lancaster bombers, crewed by seven men each. At least 38 Australians were among those killed by Schnaufer. His modus operandi was to open fire at close range, one night he downed five bombers in 14 minutes, and on another occasion he shot down seven bombers in 17 minutes. He received the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds. He was killed in his sports car in 1950 after buying wine in France.

That makes an impressive display... :jumping:

Was there any information on how and where the tail section was found/obtained?

Sorry... :rolleyes: , I didn't document it well enough. My main collecting theme and interest is in Aussie medals, and that was what I took notes on much more carefully. From memory there was no explanation, but given the amount of Australian air-crew in Europe in all sections of the RAF it is likely that it was souvenired and bought back.

Regards;

Johnsy